Thursday, March 15, 2018

Tough as Nails

The first time I took Charlie for a little walk just a week or so ago, I had my doubts that he would ever be able to go for hikes with me.
I mean, his legs are so short! He seems so tiny and well, frankly sort of fragile in a way.

However. I learned different on yesterday's morning walk.


Here is Charlie in the Merry Meadow. The world looks rather huge doesn't it?

Charlie's view...

The meadow's grasses and weeds are a tangled mess now that it isn't pastured any more. I followed some old beaten down trails through the weeds.
I was playing hide 'n go seek with Charlie.
He'd get distracted and I'd move forward and squat down. I'd whistle for him and call and then wait.

Pretty soon I could hear his little bell and he'd come charging through the weeds, leaping and dodging. When a weed knocked him over, he'd roll and get back up and charge again.

Charlie is no wuss. His short legs are powerful. He can make some incredible jumps for his size.


He is impressive to say the least.

Charlie doesn't seem to have that Little Dog attitude. He just is.
And that is good enough for us.


3 comments:

  1. :0 He sounds like a perfect little guy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read both Charlie posts and love what you are doing with him. You have such good sense, I think you can train him even if you don't go to those classes. To me, the most important thing is come when called. It can save their lives. The three classes I took Phoebe to stressed "watch me" (some people say "focus" now), "leave it," and come when called. The Therapy Dog test was very long...I'll bet you can Google it. If not, I have it. She was given her "Canine Good Citizen" Certificate at the same time. Do Charlie and Dixie have the chance to spend time together? Socialization is huge. There was an elevator in the building where we took our classes, so she got used to that as well as going in stores and being around all kinds of distractions. Wheel Chairs etc. I can see that Charlie is a very important part of your family...such a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Charlie and Dixie can spend time together, I also having all relatives and best friends bring dogs to the farm and they stay in the house. Charlie is going to go visiting at a Chiropractor's office to get some people socialization and of course neighbors and perhaps even a visit to some other places.
    I had a dog 40 yrs ago that excelled in Obedience and we were asked to progress to Utility and Search and Rescue. I was a young mom and couldn't commit.
    I will look for a puppy social class.
    I agree the 'Come' is so important. The Down Command saved Missy's life so many years ago!
    Charlie is learning so incredibly fast.
    Thanks, Charlie is becoming a huge part of not only our family but assisting Rich with talking and calming issues. He has already become invaluable to us.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.