Thursday, May 20, 2010

Bug Solutions you've never thought of...


Today while working in the deep woods, I tried something different for those pesky little bugs.

I'd taken a shower this morning and because I'd gotten a little sunburn on my tummy, I used *Mom's* cure all for Sunburn.
Noxzema skin creme, the old kind.

I smeared the Noxzema on my arms, face, and legs liberally. Hubby wrinkled his nose and proclaimed:

*YOU STINK!*

and yes I did.
Of Eucalyptus and camphor menthol...hideous right?

Well absolutely not! First the odor brought me back to some very pleasant and wonderful childhood memories of being smeared with this cooling cream when I'd spent too much time in the sun...

...and second...

The bugs HATE me.

It really only made sense. For the past 3 yrs, I've been 'making' my own 'natural' bug spray for myself and the mules.
It costs me about .10 cents a quart versus up to $14.00 per quart in the store.

I've used Mentholatum Ointment on the mules' ears for a couple of years now, and you have to be very careful NOT to get it below their eyes.

I use the following to make my equine spray:
Eucalyptus and Lemongrass essential oils along with a few drops of Citronella oil, Peppermint oil, Rosemary, and Tree tea oil, combined in a few squirts of Noxzema, witch hazel, mineral oil, and a few drops of Dawn dish soap to hold it together.

My husband says the mules smell awful.
The bugs stay off my mules for about the same length of time as the $14/quart spray from the store does.


And for a simple stroll in the woods?
I just slather on the old Noxzema creme and wash up after my hike.

Who knew?

Another helpful hint.
Carry 1/2 mix of generic brown colored Listerine mouthwash with 1/2 water in a spritzer. This too works pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.