Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Sometimes

 
Sometimes...

I just stay outside to drink it all in. I know I am lucky to live here -- far removed from busy places. 

I am still pinching myself about meeting Rich on the Wagon Train and becoming his lifelong partner in a slice of paradise like this.

He found this place on a Walmart pin up board in the early mid 1990's. For Sale: House on 25 acres, dead end road. 2 bedrooms. The original price? $25k.

He took the whole sheet down and found the nearest pay phone to call the number. He met Glen, the owner and builder of our cottage and they had coffee. With a handshake, Glen sold this place to Rich.

I think of that story often and just wonder how the stars aligned to make things happen for him and then for the both of us. 

Mornings like this I just stand in our meadow and have...a feeling of awe. I'm witnessing something that is wonderous, vast, inspiring, amazing, and mind-blowing all at once.



Before the sun hits the meadow to the east of us, I can smell the sweet scent of millions of Queen Anne's Lace Flowers in the heavy damp air.

Oh yes. And admire the thousands Orb Weavers who stretch webs between the plants.





Everything is wet with fog and dew. 

And then the sun clears the trees to the east, the area lights up with golden fog and dew drops.




I make my way to my where my 'campground' is and look back towards home.


I often wondered if this place would suit me when I lost my best friend nearly a year ago. As I walk through the wet grasses towards the house I believe that it will. At least for now. 

It suits me just fine.



8 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:39 AM

    Beautiful, peaceful place! 😍 RHill, TX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh!! Your photography is amazing! I can see why you’re still pinching yourself about living there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was just a morning walk and I enjoyed it.

      Delete
  3. Oh my Val, what a wonderful story and thank you for sharing it. How awesome that was for Rich to find this place and sign on a handshake, and then to find you and here you are with all these wonderful memories. Your photos are amazing! You've put me in a good place this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very uncommon way to find a home! But we sure have loved our time here.

      Delete
  4. It all looks grand to me from over thisaway where I can appreciate your place in photos. So glad that you are doing well and appreciating your lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have really content days and some other type of days... This was an awesome morning.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.