Sunday, October 20, 2024

Meanwhile... a hike with Aurora!

 There it was, our annual date for our fall walk at KVR! Last year we did our fall hike at Wildcat Mtn State Park. 

Last year, our hike was in mid November. 

This year we were back at the Reserve. I was hoping to find brilliant and beautiful fall scenery, but depending on the type of trees, the colors were mostly gone. However that doesn't take away from the beauty of hiking with a friend and just having a nice conversation as we went.

A few shots of the trail on Big Valley. 

A section of Maples....


Poplars and birch, I think. 


Looking down on Big Valley from a high point
on the trail. The colors are muted but
still there.


Looking back through the trees...
I used an Orton Effect on this shot.
In my head I wanted this to have a warm fuzzy Autumn
feeling...


And...of course, I had to play a bit on the trail...

Mini-me and Charlie spot Big Foot!!!! How exciting!


After we finished off Big Valley, we headed over to the 9-10 trail which runs along the Kickapoo River. I wished the trail to the little out of the way lookout was an easy access, I wanted to get Aurora up on the bluff by the pine tree I like so much.

But the thorny Prickly Ash barred the way. If you don't know Prickly Ash, it will tear at clothes if you are not wearing tough clothing like Carhartt.

I get to this spot each spring if possible because of all the bluebell flowers along with the hepatica...not to mention the skunk cabbage and rock formations. [ 9-10 trail in the spring ]


Last spring the same view...sort of...


I sure had a whirlwind-ish week. 

But our hike was such so fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.