Thursday, October 10, 2024

Hiking for colors and distance...

Surprise ... 

Surprise...

I finally feel like I got my physical mojo back.

I don't want to brag, but heck, I'm going to anyway. 

I went back to my map my hike and also tallied up the miles I've hiked since June when I got a pretty plain smart Garmin watch.

Miles hiked this year? 698! I have not been tracking it each day or month. In fact, I figured with all the heat and humidity and BUGS we had this year, that my hiking would be pretty lame. I had two weeks that I did not walk or hike at all when I was sick.

So what am I doing with that Mojo? 

I'm moving again. If I can't go to the Reserve and hike, Charlie and I head out to the wilds next door. 600 acres of wild woods with old cattle trails that are now faint deer trails. If I can't find a trail, I wait and let the Trail Master find the easiest path.


We cross ravines, dry washes, and hike up and down steep hills.

OH Come ON Ma!


The fall colors are not always so prevelant inside the deep woods as many of the trees are fairly drab. Portions of the woods have been heavily logged for the really good trees. What is left in the understory are some pretty junk trees along with invasive barberry brush. 

Hint: If you walk here with me, wear heavy long pants so the barberry doesn't poke you so hard!

Photo of one of our hiking areas through barberry 'prickles'.
Charlie can find the deer path through this.


Hunting fall colors can be frustrating when you walk through a thick forest. Since we live in an area of steep hills and valleys...

Wonderful landscape views are rare here unless you can get on top of a bluff or you can stay on top of a ridge.

That has probably influenced my photography quite a bit.



It also means that I hike and hike miles to find a pretty shot or perhaps something very tiny to see. 



So what is the point of keeping track of how far I hike? Well, I don't know but it is fun to have a goal to reach.

Of course, I take Mini-me and Mini Charlie along. We love our outdoor time. The hikes in the forest next door will end in a few weeks when the gun hunters invade. 

But until then we will stack up the miles or as I call it...
time spent breathing air and chilling out.


Meanwhile, Charlie and I are going to see if we can reach a 1,000 miles by December 31st. 



9 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:51 AM

    Wow, just wow! Kudos to you for staying so active. 😊 RHill, TX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! Happy to hear Mojo has returned!! I hope being back on the trail gives you peace and purpose. I'm sure cooler temperatures are making the journey more comfortable for at least two of you. I can't wait to see more adventures of the mini's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:44 AM

    You are one tough cookie! So is Charlie! Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurrah for mojo! My version of hiking with you and Charlie would be a lawn chair, water and an audiobook while I wait for you to return!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We'll be driving to the hinterlands tomorrow. I hope we see a decent amount of colour. It's still slow here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am out and about most days, and walking in nature has been a constant in my life, but I have never considered keeping track of the distances I walk. As for fall colours, they have been a disappointment this year. The leaves started to fall early, probably due to stress, and the colours never were really vivid. Many of the trees are already bare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, depending on your location the trees can vary a lot. I expect our peak is here and will be gone in a flash.

      I never thought of tracking my hikes either, but it was surprising to me!

      Delete
  7. Awesome! Happy Hiking!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that is a lot of miles!!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.