Friday, March 20, 2020

New and different

So for my Master Naturalist Class, we had to have a daily...or weekly journal of things observed including birds, insects, wild life, ...you get the idea.

I purchased a nice book with pages of 100lb paper stock weight so I could past photos of observations.
That came to a screeching halt last Sunday as the classes are cancelled.

I glued in the last photos I'd taken and decided to continue anyway and make it a personal journal as I used to keep one from Junior year in high school until I started a blog.

I find that getting OFF the internet is satisfying in so many ways. I won't be pasting any photos in the book for a long time now. I may resort to drawing again!

I think this will be my personal thoughts and observations for the duration of this Pandemic. Just notes, temps, observations, and random thoughts...that is good enough for me...
and it keeps me away from reading all that horrid news.



I've also decided to see what I had on hand and be a bit creative when I have to be quiet while hubby is napping and it is pouring cats and dogs outside.






Eventually spring will appear -- this morning it is snowing and blowing after an inch of rain yesterday.

The daffy's are trying to poke up in the yard and the tulips are making an appearance.

In the woods the leeks are poking up also.


I found some nettles sprouting and will gather them to add to our vegetables or make some tea.

As soon as I get another good sunny day I will be hunting wild parsnips in the valley. They are hard to clean, a pain to chop up and prepare, but taste wonderful when sauteed.

We are practicing isolation here. Yesterday I took Charlie to the vet and he got his shots updated. The vet was wearing a mask and gloves. Her eyes looked tired and wary.
It was an awkward situation. Normally she and her staff are so cheery and outgoing. Yesterday it was obvious that I was seen as a possible infection. I asked her if she was going to close down and she avoided my eyes and said..."It's and hour by hour situation."

I dropped by the feed store and picked up Senior Feed for the elder mules. The Ag guy and I too kept our distances. I said thanks and hopefully I'd see him again..and stay well.

Our community is however doing great things in town. Neighbors texting neighbors, "I'm going to the store? Can I get you something?"
The bike brigade taking meals to the elderly and leaving the meals at their doors.

McDonalds in town giving meals to children between the hours of 11 and 2pm. Free meals.

I'm proud of our rural community.

This afternoon a neighbor will come over and we will hike the neighboring land together. We will be out and distanced but still able to exchange conversation. Human contact is important.

In the mean time. My bathtub is now sparkling! Dust has been banished from all surfaces.
I'm actually trying to plan meals.

I'm looking forward to foraging.

The old mule will be my pack animal.
Life is different, but doable.

Our CrossFit community has set up a Zoom thing? We can all get on line and see each other at 5pm each day? I'm going to try that.

I'm also grateful that my MIL is now in a home. It is the safest place she can be in right now.


And this extra time will allow me to explore some more digital art.

Hope you are all well.

Stay safe.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:04 PM

    Thanks for sharing the buds poking out, spring IS coming. I love the digital art, that picture is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you have Spring. I just heard the other day that Parsnips foliage can cause a rash...haven't had time to research that comment to see if it is true or not. Why not put photos in your journal? Too bad your class was cancelled, hopefully when this is all over we can do normal again...or is there really a normal?
    Stay safe...enjoy Charlie:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey friend...glad to hear you are weathering this craziness as well as can be expected. Our pastor resurrected his blog which then made me think to go to mine and see what some of my friends were up to. Back in '08 when I started blogging, it was a different lifetime...one that I truly miss. I agree that getting off the internet and connecting personally is hugely important. Our congregation is small and is splitting to 2 services today...morning and late afternoon. This may be the last one until further notice...it's very frustrating to say the least as we are so remote. Ranching and farming must continue...virus or no virus. God bless you and yours~Karen

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.