Monday, February 03, 2020

New project?

I enjoyed creating the little stick 'fairy house' last weekend. I did some more reading about how to reuse common household items and turn them into more fairy type houses.

One style that I thought was interesting, was putting tiny rocks on a container. Okay. So how does one do that? I mean how can rocks stick to clay or plastic?
I watched some videos and gathered some information. Try double sided heavy duty stick tape to adhere rocks to the plastic. Then spread grout or something similar around it.
Think of tiling but on an object instead of a wall.

I decided to go for a walk yesterday because the weather was just so darned nice! It was 48 degrees. The mules were sleeping in the sun, Rich was napping, so it just seemed like a good idea to wander down to the creek. Charlie had to stay home, the coyotes are really running now during the day time.

And...because I like to do things differently, I took my Infrared Camera to see if I could actually get some interesting shots in the winter.




Yes, it was interesting, the oak leaves did reflect light back and so did the clouds.
I had a filter on that doesn't record color. So I was really going for strict black and white. I'm not sure I like or dislike it. It is just interesting.

When I got to the creek it was obvious that there was a melt going on but it wasn't a gushing gully washer. There would have to be another very warm and sunny day to create that.
It was very slippery so just wandered slowly around and peered at things. Like moss and rocks.



I found some interesting bark that was dry. I peeled it off the branch and dropped it into a plastic bag I always carry with me. I sat down and sorted through some tiny rocks bits too.

I wasn't sure of what exactly I was doing, but an idea was shaping up in my brain.


Later I sorted things out and ...
I wondered how I might attach the interesting bark to the sour cream container. A used pill bottle could be an oversized chimney?


And the rocks?
A tiny rock wall?
A walkway?

Should I make this little house on top of the lid? Then I could take the whole works out to the garden and set it on a planter or a stump.

And there is this styrofoam package that my tree statue came in. I'd seen someone used styrofoam to make 'fake' rocks.

So many possibilities.



The bark didn't work out very well so I used some Gorilla Brand two sided tape. I put the tape on the plastic carton.


The tape works very well and was almost easier than using hot glue. I filled in the cracks with some DAP Kwik Seal Silicon Adhesive Calk. So much for the plumber side of me!


I used some of the super tape on top of the plastic carton, then added the top of a laundry soap container. I'll add clay and acorns to it I think.
The caulk will need some touch ups with acrylic paint.


Now I have to wait for the caulk to dry before I go to the next step.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you have a start! I tried to put rocks on a plastic bird bath once...they kept falling off...but the whole thing was heavy...and really looked ugly after a while a smaller project should work out just fine...you could have some very interesting rocks out of styrofoam...but some paints melt it! Your imagination can go wild!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried the rocks on a clay pot last year and even with gorilla glue, it came off in short order. So I'm thinking about super tiny rocks now and will experiment with that. If that fails, well there is always spray paint!
      I haven't touched the styrofoam yet but I am still thinking about what I can do with it.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous5:35 AM

    Lots of fun working with found items to create something unique and interesting. I love the story of "The Borrowers" by Mary Norton and imagine how they would make something useful from the found items. Looks good and is looks way more relaxing. than packing and moving. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well after the move is done, it will be a big relief. However I am not looking forward to the days and days of organizing I have to do. I need to get back to doing it a bit at a time when the weather is nice enough to spend more time in the big shed. :o

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.