Monday, February 20, 2006

The nature of Nature


The nature of Nature
Originally uploaded by Xena~.
With a windchill of -20, I wrapped myself up and put my digital camera in a plastic bag...my old standby the manual pentax hung from my shoulder.
Faithful Morris, ever ready for an adventure literally bounced into the frigid air trying in his funny male way to mark every stick and twig sticking up out of the snow.
I'm sure that because he was along that the deer I was tracking had moved along. I wasn't looking for wildlife, I moved deep into the valley and listened to the wind howl across the tops of the trees.

Yet in the valley is was quiet enough to listen to chickadees and a bluejay. I came across the bones of a buck covered partially by snow, his one broken antler sticking up with his rib cage.
Nature was recycling itself.

I walked along the creek and slowly made it back home taking more time with my manual camera than my digital.

When I came in the door, hubby immediately came downstairs. He said he'd sat and worried about me out in the cold weather...worried that I may have fallen and hurt myself.
I chuckled as I put the cameras down, unloaded my pistol, and undressed.

'I left tracks, you would have found me. Or perhaps next time come with me.'

I need to explore and wander, it is in my nature, just as nature takes care of its own.

1 comment:

  1. You're an amazing writer, Val. I felt like I was experiencing all of this with you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.