Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Hooves, Hay, and Life


The first couple of days of this week were crazy busy. I mucked right through it because I have to take care of business.

Below is a photo [cell phone] shot of our yearly hay supply. I am so thankful for our hay guy saying he has no problem delivering and stacking our hay for us. 
The skid steer is on the right side of the picture. 
This was our old round pen inside the large shed.


I have a father son team who like to come out together to do our mules. This is Danny working with  Sundance. 



The farriers took time to come up to the porch and visit with Rich for a while. We've worked with these guys for quite a few years. Danny has assisted his dad ever since he could hold a hoof rasp.

Both guys do custom blacksmith work and farrier at the same time. Often our veterinarian refers hoof and leg problems to these guys because they are so knowledgeable.
 

I am behind on removing burrs from the mules' tails this year. Sunshine sports a burr tail. I'll get to it sooner than later. Show Sheen and Hair conditioner work really quite well. It takes a lot of time though.


My new hat. This is safer than a Harris/Walz hat to wear in my area. It takes a moment or few to figure out what it says. 


I think I finally turned a corner. I spoke to a nurse and she recommended taking probiotics and avoiding acidic foods for a while. I had probiotics and I made bland food for myself for supper.

This morning was the first time since September 1st that I didn't wake up with nausea and a splitting headache. I am crossing my fingers on this and hope it continues.


One day at a time.



15 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:20 PM

    The hay looks beautiful! So glad you are starting to feel better and hope you stay that way. I know that eating too many tomatoes really messed up my stomach. Acid and old age don't go together very well. Your new hat is beautiful!!!!! Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just have to think a lot like you about what I am eating. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you got some advice that might help. I have been worried about you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. The hardest thing is to admit you need help.

      Delete
  3. Both Sue and I were eating our share of probiotic yogurt this tome last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I have done that in the past but can't handle yogurt any more. I did love it though!

      Delete
  4. Hope you feel better soon, you have had a busy week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rest of the week is going to be quiet with some nice little walks in the morning. I think. :)

      Delete
  5. Great news that you are feeling better. It feels good to have the winter supply of hay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should last until next August. I do this once a year. It feels nice to have hay in the shed.

      Delete
  6. Barbara Anne12:47 PM

    Love the hat and hope I can find one or two.
    Hope your less spicy diet helps you feel lots better.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a nice storage area & hay guy. Glad you called and are on the mend. Albeit slowly. Take 'er easy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have yet to track down a good farrier in this area- the guy I have been using does a basic trim that I could do myself and doesn't address the issues that Gussie needs done. (quarter cracks).
    Nice hay, love having a barn full of nice smelling hay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, finding a good and consistent farrier is like winning the jack pot. I've always had good quality hay from this guy. Hubby wanted to shop around and since I am the one who has to do it now, I just call and get my hay once a year from the same fella.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.