Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Topaz InFocus Review

Yesterday Topaz introduced its new plug in called Topaz InFocus. You can get a free trial download simply by clicking on their link. Pick Windows or Mac and there you go.

The download went well. But for some reason I did not get the trial key. I posted on the Topaz Forum asking for it and received it the next morning when I opened my email. It was PM'd to me.
Topaz Customer Service is excellent and has usually been able to answer my questions rather quickly.

Anxious to try it out, I opened up a photo of a Hermit Crab I'd taken while in Hawai'i.
Original [slightly out of focus]:
Edited with Topaz Detail:
Then edited with Topaz InFocus:
Well, for my old eyes, it seems that in this instance Topaz Detail was the winner hands down.

Not to be deterred, I decided to try another sample.

Out of focus blurred dog face original:
Same photo edited with InFocus:
Not a noticeable difference at all, unless you are viewing this photo at above 70%-90%.

Hmmm. Okay, one last effort, perhaps I'm doing this wrong?

Original [not really too badly out of focus]:
Edited with InFocus:
I pushed it a bit for the above photo, but the end result was a grainy mess. I lightened it up and you can see a slight difference in the lettering on the tire.
So I decided to try it with Topaz Detail [by the way, awesome plug in!]:
Well, I can go back to the drawing board on this one. I'm not convinced that I can live without Topaz InFocus yet.
On the Topaz Forum there has been some interesting discussion regarding this new Plug in.

InFocus Range of Adjustment


For me right now, I'm not convinced that it is worth the introductory offer of $29.99 or the full price of $69.99.

I am however convinced that this plug in will probably undergo some development and be useful in the future. Topaz does listen to its customers and I give 'nod' to the developers and the customer service people for rapidly answering questions.

I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.