Sunday, April 08, 2018

Upset Tummy

The road to Duck Egg Park is twisted and bumpy. We were only about a mile from there when I heard Charlie get sick in the crate.

I couldn't stop or pull over. When descending Irish Ridge Road into the valley, there are really no shoulders to pull off on nor any room for error. It is steep and twisted with drop offs on one side and rocks on the other.


There was a big rig in the parking lot along with another Subaru. This lower lot also has room for a horse rig or two. Duck Egg has some incredible equine trails. If you like water crossings and steep hillsides, this would be the place.


Above is a map of the trails in Duck Egg. Hiking is allowed on the horse trails. Some of the trails would be extremely tough for a hiker, I've done them on mule back and the trails even gave our mules reason to pause.

After I parked, I got out Charlie's blanket and shook out the upchucked kibbles onto the ground. I attached Charlie's cord and we walked over to the Springville branch of the Bad Axe River. I just love that name. Bad Axe. It conjures up all sorts of thoughts.

Charlie was curious and I kept hold of the cord. The Bad Axe here is deep and very swift.


My intention was to walk with Charlie on his cord up the trail to the ponds.


The lower trail however is so deep in the valley that it was covered in snow. You can see by the tracks left by others that this is a popular place to walk. Charlie started to shiver and quiver so I picked him up and stuck him in my jacket.


We made it to the first foot bridge rather quickly.

I was hoping to set up the tripod and take a few interesting shots of the Bad Axe, but Charlie was a bit of a complication. I was pretty sure that he wouldn't be too curious to get into the small river, but then again, I wasn't sure.


I took a snapshot of the foot bridge and the equine crossing and moved on.

We got to the second bridge.



The waters are so clear. Even without polarized sunglasses you can see the rocks in the water.

Up and over the bridge we went to the ponds.


Charlie seemed to be doing quite well at this point so I set him down and walked into the cold wind. Charlie sniffed here and there and I had to watch him. Twice I caught him trying to wolf down old horse manure. I was pretty sure that wasn't something he should be eating.

We took a deer trail back over to the Bad Axe and I considered setting up some long exposures. I tied Charlie to a sapling to keep him out of the water while I pulled out my Nikon.

I took a few shots upstream and then downstream.



In my mind's eye, I had to try and imagine what this area would look like in a few weeks. Definitely worth a trip back without any hiking dogs.

I looked down and Charlie was trying to eat some plants. I told him no and packed up my camera.

We got back to the pond area and Charlie started acting as if he were going to retch again. I set him down and he began to eat icy snow. I offered him a drink of water from my bottle and he took some. Then he went back to eating crunchy snow and he started to quake.

Crap. I picked him up and faced the north wind that was blowing off the ponds and stuck him into my coat. Our adventure was done.

We crossed the foot bridge and got back into some shelter from the wind. Charlie retched and out came dog food and something slimy green. I poked at it with a stick.
Motion sickness and horse manure are probably not a good combination.

Charlie's puppy tummy was tight. He was miserable and I was worried.

Off we went, Charlie tucked in and me hiking hard and fast to get him back to the car.

We made it home without any more incidents. I drove carefully as to 'not' upset his tummy any more. When we got home Charlie spent most of the evening on my lap. He ate some kibbles and seemed to be doing fairly well by bed time.

This morning he is back to his mischievous self. Happy go lucky Charlie.

And it leaves me wondering if he will grow out getting motion sickness in his crate or not. It sure ruins an outing. I do know that he seems perfectly fine in a lap while traveling in a vehicle.

Perhaps there is another way of transporting him that is better for him yet safe for me as the driver.

I sure don't want Charlie crawling into my lap as I drive.

Charlie's upset tummy gave me quite a bit of worry.
I had one other dog who used to get motion sickness but she eventually grew out of it.

Next trip to Duck Egg.
It will probably be solo.

I didn't think those bridges would bring back such wistful memories, but they did...

4 comments:

  1. There is a harness that you can hook into a seat belt that keep them in a seat in a vehicle. You might be able to make something that would work for Charlie. Perhaps the ride was too long? Shorter outings might be in order to help him get over the motion sickness. One of our Grand dogs still gets sick if she eats before she travels:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you point out two very good things I'd forgotten! Don't let him eat before we go and find a safe way for him to be able to look out the window and feel as though he is safe when I am driving.
    I will look into that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try a spoonful of vanilla ice cream pre ride. Don't know why but, it works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Camryn. My husband generally has ice cream on hand. Never thought of it as calming an upset tummy!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.