Thursday, April 05, 2018

Charlie is on to something


Napping is good for catching up on lost sleep from lots of pain for several days.
The day of the extraction, I fell asleep with Charlie on my legs while I read a book.

By the way, Charlie is now starting to 'ask' to go outside for potty time. Amazing puppy! He whines at the porch door or if he is 'gated' in the kitchen he whines at the gate and then at a person and trots to the gate.

He is doing fantastic at 'Crate Training'. At night he knows he needs to go in rather reluctantly but he goes. He cries a few times and then settles in until he hears me get up in the morning. We have nailed down a good routine.
Potty.
Eat.
Play 15 minutes.
Potty.

Nap on my lap while I read the news and have coffee.

Yesterday we visited MIL in the nursing home. I was pretty excited, she is getting a new medication dispenser that basically won't allow her to take her meds at the wrong time and cause another visit to the hospital. I encouraged her to give it a go as this was what would help her get home. She is angry about it and told us that she wants to take the meds 'her' way. I hope we can work that issue out.

The snowstorm was gathering strength when we got home. I ate some soup. Rich decided it was nap time. I grabbed a book and Charlie once again supervised a reading-nap on the couch.


The rest felt very good and I was even able to sleep all night despite two days of naps.
That is fairly unusual for me.

By 9 PM the snow was up to Charlie's chest when I let him out for the night. The HUGE snowstorm didn't really appear. Charlie's chest is about 3" off the ground.
Charlie loves the polartec fleece blanket Morris used to have for his crate. He snuggles right in.

Apparently my enthusiasm with MIL over her meds and asking her if she'd like some in Home Health assistance was not appreciated. It may be the right thing to do, but...

Let's just say that my SIL got an earful about it today. MIL perceived it as me trying to 'take over'.

Nope, I already have my hands full with my husband who had a stroke and is considered to have a very mild form of Vascular Dementia, along with other health issues.
In reality I would love to concentrate on my husband's care and have someone take care of MIL so I could visit her and spend quality time. Not time filling her timed med box and assisting her in her daily activities.

I told my husband and my SIL that we had to remember that we were dealing with a woman who was very stubborn, proud, and independent thinking. Any intrusion into her life by others was seen as a "hostile takeover". Add Cognitive Issues to that mix and it gets interesting.

Much ado, much discussion. Much angst. And there is a bit of grey area because no one really knows exactly how things will go once MIL does come home.

So Charlie did what any good pup would do.


Asked to play.

He stole one of Morris's old toys off from a crate I have in the living room and gave me this look....


The ... I am adorable and innocent look.

I started tossing toys for him and he played making me laugh.




We've missed going for our daily walks and I hope to feel better soon so we can resume them.

Last thought. Elderly parents often do resent getting help from their kids or relatives and take it out on them. In their minds everyone is trying to 'take over' their lives and take away independence. I get that.

I hope I can avoid this very thing.

But Charlie keeps us smiling and laughing. And that is the best medicine, right?

2 comments:

  1. So glad that you are no longer in pain with that molar! You sure have had a lot on your plate lately. That little puppy is such a bright spot and it appears that he is bringing you a lot of comfort. Hope that you can get back to a less stressful time very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have learned to shut up...I too have a full plate and will help my parents when they need it but mostly I take care of my husband. It is nearly a full time job. I hope I am not stubborn or cranky when I get old. Do the best you can ...you can do no more...your Charlie is so cute and makes me smile:)

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.