Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Quality of Life?

When do you interfere with the end of one of your favorite equine's lives? How do you determine what his/her quality of life is?

This is a very tough question to answer isn't it?

What do you do when you see your beloved old horse fading away.
And before anyone suggests that I immediately take her to the vet~~well that has already been done.

It is old age and very few teeth.
You can't get dentures for an old horse.
You can't make her digestive system work right when it doesn't do exceptionally well anymore.

And yes she gets all the geriatric feed she is able to.

Yet, she is still fading before my eyes.

I'm fighting with myself. I don't want her to die nor do I want her to suffer. So I go out and spend time with her as she nibbles ever so slowly at the hay she has in front of her. I tidy her mane and scratch her favorite spots.

I feel catches in my throat and moisture in my eyes.
She blows horse snots on me in gratitude.

I don't want to let her go but soon I will have no choice.

2 comments:

  1. I can only say that I know too well how you are feeling. For the past month I have been treating Polly daily with antibiotics. I am trying to enjoy that fact that she seems to be feeling better. Yet, it may be very temporary. So each day now is special. I'm so sorry to hear that you are also feeling the impending loss of a good old friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks MJ, she has been with me for 17 years.
    I hope I can make all the right decisions.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.