Thursday, August 01, 2024

Hot Hot



We've had a pretty decent summer so far. Cool mornings and nights even though we had a lot of rain and bugs.

Now? Yikes, I was not ready for a 79* dew point, with 79% humidity and 80* temps yesterday morning. Yuck. Yuck and double Yuck.

I did outdoor work and my errands early. I made cold Italian pasta  salad for supper and retreated to the indoors for most of the day.

I continued to mess around with my Lego bricks and lights to make that Space Challenge Scene that was on for last month. Even though I didn't come close to 'winning' I enjoyed the fun in making interesting scenes to celebrate Lego's Space Theme for the past month.

This really didn't work out as I imagined but I had a lot of fun building the Labratory. I created a space environment with an AI generator for the background.


I placed the works on top of a wooden block on my keboard...

and ended up with this....          👇


I am learning now to build and then set up a camera and see what view the camera can see and use that area for details. It is different building for fun and building a little 'set'.

Setting up the 'set', lighting, and characters is hard! It is so much easier to do a Lego shoot outdoors in my opinion.

Here I just took my Little Tourist Alien and set him on the porch with some rocks and one of my garden Gargoyles.

It was rather easy to deal with the lighting and scene.


Since I was avoiding the heat and humidity, I thought I'd build something fun and unique to use a new character with. It was to be Spacey and have Cool Lighting.

I began with a plan. I wanted a blue eerie lit background. That meant making a part of a wall with see through blue bricks. I put it on a white baseplate and used irregular Lego 'rock' bricks to make the back wall for a cave or alien planet texture.

[The brick texture didn't show up because of the lighting!]


So the idea was to have a space creature walking down the path of blue crystals with cool lights. I noted that the back wall didn't really show up and how was I going to include that in the photo?



As always, I never take the easiest route when trying this out. 

I first tried it with two little blue balloon lights and a white light. I laid the face mister on its side and turned it on to add some glow to the light.
It was sort of cool but it was hard to tell what was going on.


So I went with more color. Of course. When in doubt, make it harder.

I like this version just because of how the red lit up the bricks around the Glaciator Power Miner Minifig and set a menacing tone. Apparently this Power Miner was the supposed to have the power to turn things into ice and explode them. There was a game based on these characters and sets that saw popularity from 2009-2010.
I just saw this guy at a garage sale and picked him up for $1. 

He is also partially made out of transparent plastic.


After all of that what did I learn? I learned that I made something fun and cool. However, the picture doesn't tell any story at all. Nothing. It is just a cool lit up minifigure. I learned that indoor photography with added lights takes a lot of experimentation and adjustments.

I kept this build so I can try again to re-shoot it to tell some sort of visual story. I realize that I should have had a little bit of light coming from directly above the 'set'. That might make a difference.
I was frustrated and pleased with the experiment.


So early this morning I went out with my pal Glenda and created an easy story on the porch.




Glenda rarely needs any explanation for what she does. 

She just does her thing and I follow her around....

It promises to be another extremely hot and humid day.



PS~
Welcome August.

8 comments:

  1. You have an endless supply of imagination and patience! We have not had a good summer. Between rain, humidity, mosquitoes and flies it has been unusable! I can't even sit on the deck or porch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. This was harder than last year! But the water was needed. Hopefully fall will be excellent 👍👍👍!

      Delete
  2. Great hot muggy day activity! You are so creative! Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess my kid mind never shuts off.

      Delete
  3. This is a fun project. I miss when the grandies and I would write such stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go ahead and have some fun with writing stories again. It truly is a great way to enjoy time and imagination!

      Delete
  4. Anonymous10:00 AM

    I have also been avoiding the heat and humidity but am otherwise, unlike thou, quite indolent. I did bbq early-ish today to try to get some things in the freezer, but it wasn’t early enough, and I am now in recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:01 AM

    Just write a comment and not sure if it posted or if you approve later. So this is a trial to see the popup message.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.