Sunday, August 11, 2024

A Day off the Farm!


I always start with a fence-pasture check and see how the elderly girls are doing. I went into what we call the Meadow to put an SD card back in the Trail Cam and came out of the forest to the above shot. I only had my cell phone with me.

I imagine the doe had run off while the fawn was sleeping and suddenly the fawn looked a bit confused.

I stood quietly and just waited.

I was able to switch to video ---> 28 seconds...


I ended up seeing 4 more does on my walk back to the house.

I did chores and got moving as I had a 'date' with my Grand daughter Ariel and a 2.5 + hr drive to her new apartment. This is not something I normally do. Travel that far, but I had two neighbors for back up and prepped lunch ahead of time for hubby.

I cannot believe she is going to be 21 years old in another month or so! OH MY! Where did the time go??? I'm sure her mom and dad are thinking the same thing.


She grew up under my nose! 

She is employed, owns her own vehicle, and now has her own place to live. She wanted me to come see her 'new' place and chill out with her. Here is a view out her living room window. She didn't give me permission to take her photo or to take and post photos of her place so I just won't do it.


Suffice to say, IF I'd had an apartment like hers, I would have loved it! She is in town and can walk all over and ... it is 5 minutes to work for her. Like most young folks she had parents and grand parents who helped provide her with things she needed.

I was so tickled to see one of my favorite shower curtains in her bathroom! Small things matter!

We went to a late breakfast then went shopping at JoAnne Fabrics. Ariel has taken up crocheting and is making soft fuzzy blankets for her relatives. She introduced me to the Big Fuzzy Soft Yarn she likes to work with. She studied all the colors they had to see if anything tickled her fancy. She asked the girl who was stocking the shelves if they had new colors coming out.

I know a lot of ladies who read this blog who love yarn and collect yarn! I could definitely see picking up crocheting with that fuzzy soft yarn. Ariel even showed me some loop yarn that you don't even have to crochet! Hmmmm. I could dig that! Might be something I could do at night while I sit with the other half and he is watching something boring!


We then parked in a public parking lot and took a tour of the town. We spent time in a bookshop that served coffee and sandwiches. We browsed and Ariel showed me the books she admired most.

We ended up at an interesting little shop that sold Geodes, candles, scented soaps, carvings, incense holders, and all sort of cool hippy stuff. I found some neat 3D printed dragons that would go along with my Lego People. I like dragons of all sorts.

They'll show up later in some Lego or Toy adventures.

Back at her place, we relaxed and chatted. She told me about her job and workplace and how she was doing. 
Again. Hard to believe I was sitting in her apartment with her as an adult. But there it was. When I was getting ready to go, she asked if I'd stop and see her brother who works at Culvers. He'd just gotten promoted to a supervisory position, and she thought we should say hi.

Another small kid....who GREW up!
He gave me permission to post his photo.


When Ariel and I started to walk out the door we turned and waved to Dennis and the whole front staff all hollered out "See yah Grandma!"

That was super cool.


I headed home to the farm with warm fuzzy thoughts and a huge smile on my face.

A day off the Farm! 


7 comments:

  1. What a joy this would be! I'm happy you had backup and were able to go. How is they grow up so fast?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had a really good day! So wonderful that Ariel has her own apartment!! Your Grandson is very handsome! Nice photo of you two!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:37 AM

    Good times — deer and dears. /AC

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like we blink and they are all grown up! How proud you must be of your granddaughter stepping into adulthood. As someone who went from parents (to grammas) to husband before I was 20, I missed the "That Girl" "Mary Tyler Moore" first girl apartment on my own. It sounds like she is in the right place with independence and a backup net close by. What a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very glad you were able to get out for a day. Sounds like you're the cool grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:06 PM

    Who could ask for anything more? Lori

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:14 AM

    So happy you were able to get off the farm and see your adult grandchildren. Hope you have a wonderful week reliving your visit. RHill, TX

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.