Monday, August 05, 2024

The Glaciator Shoot

Go ahead and skip this if
you aren't into toy Photography!


I was determined to really work on getting a MOC [My Own Creation] set up with this challenging Lego Character I found. He is from a set created in 2009-2010. Some of the minifigs that came with this set are now 'worth' around $40 to $50 because they are not made any more. Interesting? Right? For a TOY??? 


Anyway, after all my morning chores were done and along with a walk in the woods with Charlie, I spent the hot afternoon on Saturday trying to finally work on getting the lighting for the set and shooting the minifigure to my satisfaction.

Okay, it may be a stupid and frivolous sort of thing to do for a person of my [ahem] age. But it really engages my mind and imagination.


The layout and lighting were pretty much the same as last time. I added an LED flashlight to position on Glaciator's face and gave him his red dynamite to hold.




I set the face mister on its side and turned it on. It took about 20 shots to find the right 'mist' effect.

I turned him slightly and moved him. I found a nice bright white balloon light and pushed it up to his bum. If I'd had a clear Lego Plate, I would have lit him up from underneath. I wanted the light to shine through his clear bits and yet see his face too.

The face mister was set behind him to mist into glow of the lights from behind the transparent wall.


I had to brighten his eyes in post otherwise they really don't show up at all.

Then I had the bright idea of doing a real close up of him and spray him with the mister and some water. He and the set were wet anyway from previous shots.

He looks rather menacing here with his mouth open. The first shot was taken with a very shallow depth of field and the light did not appear in his mouth.


This shot below was done with a more depth, and no flashlight on his face.
This allowed the glow in his mouth to show up. What a difference DOF and lighting makes!

I can't decide which looks better as I like them both for different reasons.

I would have liked to have 'shot' him with dynamite in both hands, but I only have one bundle of dynamite and I kept everything in the same tone of color except for his eyes.

His body is more a a grey color when seen in regular light and his red eyes are not so obvious.


This was done for my own entertainment. I'm keeping this MOC and am going to change it up slightly. It is an interesting way to play with light and I keep imagining different ways to use it.

How would a mirror reflect the light and mist? Would a different color produce a different atmospheric feeling?
And so forth.

With Saturday's temperatures so hot and humid, it was a pleasure to work inside with tiny lights and toys.



That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.


9 comments:

  1. I don't think anything that gives us joy is silly or frivolous. You are a creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could cook creatively or even perhaps knit well or even paint or draw...but this draws my intense interest. So there it be!

      Delete
  2. It takes a detail-oriented and tenacious mind in both aspects -- creation + photo. I would fail on both aspects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I enjoyed the challenge and the amount of work and experimentation to get to something I really liked.
      Thank you!

      Delete
  3. This is really fun! What a great hobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is...and it can be addicting!

      Delete
  4. I am in awe of your skills - photography, staging and imagination!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not much different than you setting up your doll house which I admire greatly and all of the creative decorating you do. I wish I had half of that talent!

      Delete
  5. Good for you! I always enjoy seeing the results of your play time! I think we have to do something creative to stay sane! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.