Sunday, August 18, 2024

Busy busy!

Between the humidity and the two days of rain, I've gotten a lot done around the inside of the house. I'd picked up 2 dozen ears of corn from a farm stand and have it all frozen and put away now.

I did laundry except for the stuff I want to hang out to dry. That will have to wait for the rain to stop. Being forced to stay inside made me clean the house and scrub the floor. Yuck. It needed it.

In between rains, I grabbed the SD card from the Trail Cam and see that this guy has been using the forest trail.



I did see him the other morning when I was checking the meadow pasture. I can't help but be in awe of our wild creatures.

I finally had some time to look at the photos I took last Friday when I hiked part of the West Ridge Trail. 

Much of the first mile of the trail is in fields. But this time I decided to really try to be interested or more aware of 'what' was in the fields around me. Normally, I consider this trail ... at least this first mile quite boring.


Charlie didn't care, nothing is boring to him. He uses his sense of smell to keep up with things that are occurring in the present and the past. Imagine being able to have his sense of smell. 


I was excited to find this grass on both sides of the trail in great abundance.
I haven't ID'd it yet, but the first thing that came to my mind was Bluestem grass.



Another delight along the trail was blackcaps. The ripe ones were so danged sweet! I had to stop often to grab some to eat.



There were a few spots where this butterfly weed grew wild.
Such a brilliant orange.


Then we went into the woods and headed down the trail for a ways.
The undergrowth was SO thick it was hard to see into the woods for any distance until we got into an area with a heavy canopy of maples.


I found Downy Rattlesnake Plantain! And...I found it flowering! Wow...wow! Wow!
It is considered an Orchid. Did you know that? I did not!


Below is a photo of one of the new plants. They are so beautiful!


When I walked the trail, I finally got to an area where I knew I should find fungi. I found them too. 







The last ones are Golden Oyster Mushrooms and I've seen them now in this same area in June and August. They thrive all summer long when they have moisture.

This was also the trail that the fellow at the bicycle shop recommended for a bicycle ride experience. I may try it. But in order to make a loop to get back to my vehicle, it will take some road riding or 9 miles of hills, roots, and rocks to get back.

I'm going to first check out another nice bike trail that was made out of an abandoned t train right away that isn't too far away. 

The Pine River Recreational Trail in Richland County. Apparently there are a multitude of trails even closer to home in my own home town. Looks like it is time for me to put on my exploring cap once more!



11 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed that walk! There is so much to see, hear and smell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I could smell what Charlie does! Wouldn't that be wonderful?

      Delete
  2. Oh, it's good to have fun with the fungi. Happy trails to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I enjoy looking for fungi, it is one of my favorite things to do.

      Delete
  3. There is always something in nature to marvel at.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have not had one drop of rain since I can remember. I love the animals you have on your camera.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:08 PM

    Your photos could be in National Geographic! Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did not know that the Rattlesnake Plantain was in the Orchid family...very interesting. You had a great hike:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:07 PM

    LS. as a kid I always enjoyed wandering through our timber on our farm. You seem to find so many great things.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.