Wednesday, July 31, 2024

What I know...

 ...from Mary Oliver's Poem
What Is There Beyond Knowing


What I know
I could put into a pack

as if it were bread and cheese, and carry it
on one shoulder,

important and honorable, but so small!
While everything else continues, unexplained

and unexplainable. How wonderful it is 
to follow a thought quietly

to its logical end.
I have done this a few times.

But mostly I just stand in the dark field,
in the middle of the world, breathing

in and out. Life so far doesn't have any other name
but breath and light, wind and rain.

If there's a temple, I haven't found it yet.
I simply go on drifting, in the heaven of grass
     and weeds.



8 comments:

  1. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:23 PM

    Her words are so special. This poem suits you to a T. And I love the photo! Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, she is the one poet that I keep going to for inspiration.

      Delete
  3. Here I am on Flickr
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/anvilcoud/

    I have since added one more variation of the cottage photo to the post that you commented on, adding rain and fog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I go by Mulewings there...

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.