Monday, July 15, 2024

going sideways

The news lately has not been very promising. Suddenly I feel as though I've been jettisoned back into the COVID era and the horror of those 4 years.

I decided to stop looking at the news for now and just go do my own thing.


I donned a long sleeved shirt sprayed with Buggins, long lightweight pants, gloves with the fingers cut out, and a head net.

I was ready to get out to my happy place even if it meant dealing with T-Rex Skeeters and swarms of gnats.


I also needed to check in on the mules to see how the girls were doing since they were staying out in the woods.


They've been spending a lot of time in the Buckthorn Woods. Yes, they are invasive trees and are horrible to have. I'm going to leave them to the next person who wants to live here. For now, they provide a great shady area for the girls to hang out. It even feels cooler under the canopy.

The air was quite still, but still cool enough since it was only about 7AM. I made my way down the trails to the creek. I wanted to see how the new rains had affected the creek. 

Water! Slow moving beautiful sounding water. Once again the water flows gently through our rather messy creek bottom.



Over the past few years, so many trees have tumbled over crisscrossing the steep banks. Negotiating the bottom takes quite a bit of balance and determination. Sometimes it includes a bit of creative climbing and careful steps when the rocks are wet and mossy.

I brought Glenda, a Lego minifigure along and a couple of Lego creatures. I just knew that between the dappled light and the water, I'd find something that would tease my imagination.

My other favorite thing to do in the creek is look for iron concretions. While climbing around in the dry runs [which are wet] I spotted quite a few and felt like I'd hit the jackpot. These rocks always add textured interest to my succulent garden.


I stuck those in a sack I brought with and sat down on one of the wet rocks just to watch the sun shine through the trees onto the water. It felt so peaceful and comforting. Yes, the bugs were there and they buzzed my head net, but I was able to mostly ignore them.

I took a few shots of Glenda doing Glenda Things. She seems to be an expert at finding and rescuing creatures. Yes, you can actually see well enough through a No-Seeum Head net to take photos!

I'm sure she was as surprised as I was that she found an Iguana in Wisconsin. But since this is a Lego Imaginative play time. It could be anywhere, right?


She heard of a Dove that was lost and so she went searching and calling for it.

Imagine her joy at finding it!

The colors and light that come through the canopy of mixed hardwoods here is so beautiful. It takes an effort to get to and move around. But the journey is well worth it. It isn't grand or spectacular, but in its small way, it is stunning.

Here is a shot with Glenda in the middle of the stream. Yes, I had to build a place for her to stand on a flat rock in the water. Three or four times she tipped over and threatened to gently float away....


But that is the real fun of it all. A difficult hike with all sorts of challenges to get to a spot that feels like my private space in nature.

When things cool off, I'm going to have to bring a little saw to this spot and cut a path through the newly downed trees. With all the rain we've had the soil is saturated and trees on the banks are just letting go. Eventually the trees rot and break up and then are washed downstream in a large flash flood, but that hasn't happened in years.


I had fun and even though I got hot, I enjoyed myself. However, next time I need to spray some Buggins on my legs ... and rear end. Dang Skeeters bit me right on the Bum through my lightweight pants!


Oh well. It was a great place to get sidetracked and enjoy the beautiful outdoors despite the monster Insects...

Today is all about, hurry up and wait. The Home 02 People are going to come 'sometime after noon'. So maybe I'll go do something silly inside to entertain myself.

How about some space adventures???

👋


8 comments:

  1. I think you have the right idea. People keep trying to share with me but yesterday I did not watch tv, listen to the radio or look at social media. Nothing I can fix, nothing I can do about anything. Funny you mention Covid though. There are about 30 people at my church with covid including our pastor. I guess there is a reason I am not going to church services.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard from someone else that Covid was rearing its ugly head again.
      But yes, there is nothing that I can do right now and I don't want to discuss it too much. I will make my choice by voting.

      Delete
  2. Love the head net!! You had a good adventure! The O2 guys are never consistent with their days or times here...so it is an all day wait. Our Pastor at church has Covid, luckily we watch from home. We stay mostly isolated but you never know...I wish people would stay home when they are sick. People have gotten careless with Covid again, I have a second cousin in ICU on a respirator from Covid. Scary

    ReplyDelete
  3. when the world gets ugly, head for the hills.. trees... bush... anywhere but where people are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:38 PM

    Your daily distractions are a good idea! Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those first two water photos are spectacular, especially the one with the insect.
    I also pay little attention, but it still filters in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Getting those skeeters away from your face has to be a relief. I know they can get so hungry. My grandson spent boy scout camp in Wisconsin and he counted all of his bites on his legs

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.