Sunday, July 07, 2024

Wicked Cool Infrared

 When foggy mornings arrive, I run out with my Infrared camera and a couple of different lens filters to capture some fun colors.

Morning fog can be dreary, but Infrared Chrome adds a new dimension to the scene. It picks up anything with chlorophyll and makes it a gorgeous hue of reds. Dead trees and bark show up as black and anything to do with sky-water, shows up in a blue hue.

I was in the valley fog of the Kickapoo River. Fog is more common here along the river most mornings.



The sun was just beginning to break through the fog in this shot of a pine stand.




I like to use Infrared in challenging situations. The 665nm filter is a light spectrum that we cannot see either. It is really best used in full blazing sunlight. But I enjoy trying to push the limits with seeing what light does to it during a sunrise. The same principle works here. Foliage is highlighted.

The photo below was taken at sunrise when the sun first touched this bush


Below is another shot with the 665nm on a foggy morning. The filter sees through the haze a bit better than a regular camera. I was intrigued by the spider web on the neighbor's rye grass. [This went along with my study of grasses!]


In bright sunlight, the 665nm really performs!

This is a tree in my 'back' yard in full sunlight on a very hot and humid day.
Technically I should have edited the clouds into a white color, however the humidity picked up the blue hue.



With the spectrum filters, one has to edit the photos to get this effect. The IRChrome and the pure 850nm black and white filter barely need any touching up. 
This is how that same tree looked 'in camera'.


To get wild colors with other hues, one has to do a Channel Swap of colors. Depending on the programs used that can vary the results.

This next simple swap was done with a different editing program that obviously reads the camera colors differently. 

This program picked up the clouds with a slightly less blue hue. I could easily turn the leaves into a cotton candy pink. But I was also pleased with this.


It just depends on which one pleases your inner artist more as to which one you keep and which one you toss out.

Last? Two sunrises in different light spectrums.


Normal....

IR Chrome:


The History of IR Chrome and the use of IR Photography in WWII~~~~~~


Excerpt from Kolari Vision:

When WWII began, militaries deployed the use of infrared aerial photography as they did in WWI. The unique ability of IR to differentiate false greenery used for camouflage from real, live foliage (known as the “Wood Effect”) was a powerful asset, and many used it in hopes of gaining every advantage possible on the battlefield. However, a new paint that could mimic the Wood Effect was developed to render this photographic method useless.

A new tactic needed to be born to get back the upper hand. Kodak and the US Military worked together to create a false color infrared film — Aerochrome III Infrared 1443. With this new color IR film, the chlorophyll in plants would photograph as hot pink instead of a snowy white, making camouflage detection possible again without the Wood Effect paint getting in the way.

10 comments:

  1. Awesome series and I learned something new. Never heard of the "Wood Effect" I'm not much of a history buff. Interesting, especially your unique photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that Aerochrome III was developed in film for this purpose but never thought of the artistic value.

      Delete
  2. That's interesting. I really like both of the last photos a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I finally got motivated to get out very early again and see the sun come up from other places than my pasture.

      Delete
  3. This is really cool. I don't have any filters. It is fun to experiment, though. I need a new camera, though. Mine is getting old, but then so am I!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These filters only work on a modified camera, but yes, it is fun to experiment!
      I hope you do get a new camera! I usually wear mine out.
      :)
      Awww, we are all aging!

      Delete
  4. I really love these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I enjoy living in different colors!

      Delete
  5. Interesting bits of history!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:49 PM

    LD....You are so good with your photo creations. They are marvelous visuals.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.