The dogs and I took a walk just after sunrise hoping to get some exercise before the dangerous heat moved in.
It was hazy and humid as you can probably see behind Charlie. [He seems to be doing fine even with his bad tooth situation right now. I don't know if he is just excellent at hiding his pain or he is stoic. My bet is on stoic.]
The heavy dew was amazing at showing spider webs that are springing up all over the place. In a few weeks the meadow behind Charlie will be full of webs for Orb Spiders. I was able to actually find one tiny spider between two webs. It took quite a few shots to get this little spider in focus, but I persisted.
The web below is likely built by a Funnel Weaver. I've yet to see one, but can appreciate their beautiful webs.
The bees are incredibly busy on these flowers. Horse Nettles. I've been fighting them in a section of pasture for a while. I tend to think of them as beneficial to bees so I am leaving most of them alone. When they are flowering, I can sit in the grass nearby and watch the bees swarm the flowers.
They are toxic to humans and animals so there is that. I'd like to get rid of them but not quite sure I should, I'd rather support the bee population. Perhaps I'll just make that spot smaller and keep them from taking over.
The morning quickly turned incredibly hot with the humidity. I picked a large bunch of Queen Anne's Lace along with a few of the Zinnia's that decided to blossom this year.
I thought I'd do a little photographic 'study' of them while indoors and beating the heat.
Your eyes are not betraying you. Some of the ones I picked have a pink hue to them. I left most of the flowers alone that I noted the pinkish color. I thought all Queen Anne's Lace was pure white.
By late in the afternoon the 'heat index' had risen to 115. I went out a few times with the dogs. I stayed out as long as I could and then brought everyone inside.Hannah played ball and took all of her toys out of the basket and spread them around house. She was bored.
I read for a while and then decided to try and find something to watch.
I found a program that absolutely captivated Hannah.
It is a series of videos by a guy named Rocky Kanaka that goes into Dog Shelters and basically 'sits' with dogs that are non responsive or deemed not very adoptable. It is called Sitting with Dogs.
Hannah had a keen interest in what was happening.
We watched a couple of episodes and I swear Hannah was taking notes.
4 second video.
The weather broke overnight. It is still muggy but the temps are in the 70's for today so I will celebrate by getting out and about.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.