Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Wow...

Monday was such an incredible day. I woke up just before dawn. As is my routine, I go out to check the fence lines.
I've been trying to ID grasses so this bejeweled grass head caught my eye.

I don't know what grass type it is. I have to admit that I am horrible at ID'ing common grasses.

I spent about 10 minutes or so just trying to get a good shot of the droplets of dew. In the left side of the photo there is a mosquito that has had a meal sitting on the grass!

You might have to click on the photo to see it. This skeeter probably is the same one that was chewing on my forehead while I was trying to manually focus on the droplets.


I don't know what kind of bee this could be. I looked up 'tiny green bees' and ended up with an answer that ID'd it as a sweat bee. Apparently they also love nectar from flowers. I learned from an Entomology site that hunting for insects is best done in the early -- early mornings. Look for insects waiting on plants where the morning sun will shine and warm them up.
 

When Charlie and I got back from checking the forest fence, the sun was breaking up the fog over the neighbor's meadow. This is the view across the fence from us to the east. That tree was heavy last year with apples. 
This is one of my favorite wild apple trees.

Looks like I'll have lots of apples again this August to pick and juice up for jelly!


Another view through the fence line to the east. Monday was going to be hot and humid.


Not only did Monday feel hot and humid, it felt like ... as my Grandmother would say:
It is going to storm.

As is happened, the storm did edge around us and dump on a town about 10 miles away with heavy rain, wind, and hail.

We lucked out.

It was Tuesday that it was so 'stupid' hot, that I stayed inside and read a book.



4 comments:

  1. Wow is right, love the colorful dew drop bokeh!! Pretty views.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful dew drop on the grass! Magical! Has not been stupid hot here yet but I am certain it is coming. Only had the AC on one afternoon so far this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandra/This and That10:38 AM

    That grass seed does look bejeweled. Very good shot. Today is moderate, at least right now, so maybe some more outside work for me. Certain blogs are not using my account name. so I write it in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful pictures. We got lucky yesterday. The big storms here went north and south of us.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.