Sunday, May 05, 2024

Change of Attitudes and Thoughts

 


Tweet Tweet -- how we change over the years!

Years ago when Rich and I first lived in our cottage he said feeding the birds was such a waste of money and of course I agreed as we had a very tight budget. Bird feeders felt like a luxury as well as any seed.

Back then having dogs in the house was also a no-no. Pets did not live in the house. Farm dogs lived outside. If a dog came in the house it was confined to one room. 


Fast forward 25 years.
Rich invites Charlie to take naps with him in bed. Charlie has his own chair and 'owns' the love seat couch. 

The birds have a feeder and if I don't feed them, Rich reminds me that he can't see all the birds that visit our yard.

This was some fun on the first day the Orioles showed up. 27 seconds long.



On that first day, the Orioles were maddening! They really went nuts over the feeder. I may add a second feeder just to try and keep the peace.


I love that the birds land close by in the pine tree where we can see them from our table. It means hubby can sit and have coffee or just sit in a chair and watch the birds.

I get a running monologue of who is visiting our feeders and yard.

I get ---- Bluebird! Blue Jay! Cow Bird! Downy Woodpecker! Sometimes he gets so tongue tied he just says a partial word and points. Goldfinch! ... the list goes on and on as long as the birds are feeding.

When the Grosbeaks showed up we both got excited since we don't see them that often.



This year the Purple Finches [????] seem happy to stick around. So far.


The first hummingbird showed up on the 3rd of May which feels like it might be a bit early. However, we did have the feeder set out and we do see one returning often during the day.

When it gets nice enough for hubby to sit on the porch, he watches me work on our little garden around the porch and delights in more birdwatching. If there is a bird he can't identify, he has me get the bird book and look it up with him.

I could get the Merlin Bird app, but I could also just enjoy sitting with Rich and  the both of us page through the book together.

How things have changed.

A little pal dog and a fascination with birds.



6 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:16 AM

    So glad these changes came about..... Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a happy story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do mellow with age, for sure!
    Those orioles are just gorgeous. We don't get many highly colored birds here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good changes, I cannot imaging Charlie living outside. All the farm dogs would be outside until my folks were gone then I would let them in the house for pets and treats! I am waiting for the Orioles to get here should be any day now:) You got some great photos:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:43 PM

    LD….Changes are good unless it becomes a bad habit. You get so many beautiful birds while living in the forest.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.