Saturday, April 27, 2024

Cool Trees

 I think that trees and wildflowers in the spring are so amazing.

There is a mad rush where I feel I have to run out and find every flower that emerges as an ephemeral.   I want to squat down and peer at these flowers and enjoy their fleeting presence in the forest.

I rejoice at the flowers in my garden also of course, but they are there and will appear. I won't have to go searching for them in an adventure. So chasing those little flowers is exciting and frustrating sometimes. 

I may search one area too early or too late. 

I also take a moment to look at the trees and note when catkins are forming or leaves are bursting through. This year I followed one type of tree from November until now. I finally got a definite ID for the tree from my neighbor.

Here is the Hophornbeam tree. April 17th.


April 24th




Pictures of it in March are here in my blog about Bushes, Trees, and birds. It hasn't changed much except that the catkins are getting greener and plumper and the leaves are emerging.

Box Elder April 18th:



Box Elder, April 24th.


Wild Plum trees!


When I first moved to this area my husband would say that the first trees that blossomed were the Cherry Trees and now I am finding out that most of the 'cherry' and plum trees blossom about the same time. My forester neighbor confirmed this tree to be a plum.

It is in the woods to the east of our driveway. I'll have to see if it bears any fruit.
However, I did discover wild plums not far from the back of our property! Perhaps this fall I'll be able to pick them and make plum jelly!

Plum Blossoms from years past ~~~

April 27 2012


May 1st 2019



It is fun to see how different trees react differently to the weather. I don't recall how the weather was like in 2012. In fact, I don't think I was paying much attention to the weather as I was working 40+ hours a week in 12 hour shifts even though I was a part time employee.

This tree has always grabbed my attention and after all these years, finally the neighbor ID'd this for me also!

My next favorite tree that I like to watch in the spring is the Hawthorne Tree. It really isn't liked by some folks as it has some really gnarly thorns. 

In Ireland the Hawthorne Tree was said to be a home to fairies. In other places in Europe it was thought to be the Tree of Love and Romance [and of course fertility].

I like the tree because it is so unique. 

April 25th 2021


April 26th 2024

See the thorns? Thorny but so beautiful!
The leaves turn green once the blossoms open.



Apple Blossoms 
from the Wild Apple Trees
in the Meadow
April 26th 2024



This meadow was home to so many beautiful apple trees that were not planted by anything other than Mother Nature. However their fruit is always delicious. I enjoy picking as many apples as I wish each year for jelly and juices.

This last shot is from 
May 16th 2006

Photographed with a film camera.


With temps rising along with these wonderful rains we've had, I need to get out and really spend time exploring both the trees, bushes, and the spring ephemeral flowers.

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:57 AM

    Beautiful pictures of trees and flowers. Spring is springing! Glad you’re able to get outdoors and have “plant therapy “ as my husband calls it. RHill, TX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love messing in the dirt and looking at plants! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. You have an infinite curiosity. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it doesn't freeze the blossoms of the apple tree, such a beautiful bloom:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me also! A few years ago we lost all fruit to a late frost!

      Delete
  4. Anonymous9:51 PM

    I have an appreciation for all the flowering trees and have restrain myself as I don’t have more room to plant them. I like using the word magical to describe the quick change to flowers on trees in spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could have one of every beautiful tree, I would!

      Delete
  5. Just a note about hawthorne- it is very medicinal. Used for heart problems and lowering blood pressure and cholesterol. I wish I had one in this area.
    Love all the blossoms. You're way ahead of us, but I bet where I used to live in Creston things are blossoming there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I knew that also! We are ahead of ourselves in some ways too! The oaks are starting and they usually don't start budding until mid May!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.