Saturday, June 15, 2024

Wonders...

Nature is always surprising me at every turn with odd things to find.

After our last heavy rains [more expected this weekend], I found this white stuff on a large chunk of wood.
It looked like frost at first. 

No, it wasn't. It was some sort of slime mold. Eeeks, that name sounds horrible, but little slime molds that can be found in the woods are pretty neat and some are just odd looking and beautiful. I've found some incredible brilliant colors of slime molds growing on wood over the years.

Nature just keeps me smiling!



In my shady wildflower garden, I found these beautiful tiny pink flowers. The flowers themselves are no larger than a pencil eraser.
When I looked at the photo on my laptop, I found this!


Imagine! I found a Katydid Nymph and I wasn't even looking! Katydids make a lot of noise in late summer. I found it interesting that over the years I probably confused Katydids with Grasshoppers as they are very similar.

I found a much more common insect when I was pulling weeds. I was so pleased to see the Yellow Swallowtails fluttering about in the same garden.


I found this insect resting on some Oxeye Daisies in the morning pasture. One of the best ways to find summer insects is early in the morning. According to Insect People, find flowers or places that the bugs will rest in the night to catch the early morning sun and warm up.

Mystery Insect



I suspect that it is some sort of fly but who knows???

Meanwhile, in the pasture, I found beautiful but not so nice weeds. The land to the east and west of me do not do any weed control or mowing. Such is the nature of our wild woods and meadows. Both neighbors at one time had cattle which really cut down on many unwanted plants.


However, there is nothing to do about it, so I make the best of it. 

Oxeye Daisies are pretty
with dew on them.
Many mornings, they have 
cool insects resting on 
their petals.


I cut these down, but they love to 
grow on the fence between
or properties.

Nightshade


Multi flora Rose
Actually, the mules will eat blossoms 
and leaves off these
if there is nothing else
left in the pasture
to eat.


Sheeps Sorrel?
pretty, but not useful
for 
grazing.


From slime molds to insects, to dew drops on plants. Nature keeps me wondering.

I really do enjoy my walks and am glad that I stop to look now at everything I can find. Grasses, bushes, trees, and even slime molds can be beautiful.

PS~~ Mica update. She is walking normal now with her diaper cushion and shows no sign of lameness. Her abscess is healing nicely and we do a daily foot wash and wrap for now.

Mules in the Meadow



5 comments:

  1. I agree, slime mold is a nasty name for a beautiful thing. We have orange and citrusy yellow ones.
    I'm really glad Mica's doing better. Animals are so good at responding to relief, no complaining, just liking how they feel now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've always been fascinated by fungi and slime mold there is a set of photos on Flickr that I have that have such an array of colors.
      If you want to look:
      https://flic.kr/p/2nxLKhq

      Delete
  2. Good to know all is better with Mica. I leave it to you to introduce me to the wonders of nature, you enjoy it so much you bring that joy to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:44 PM

    So glad that Mica is doing well! Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good news about Mica, she must feel better now! You found some interesting little things!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.