Monday, June 10, 2024

And we had a blast

The Big Bike Adventure.

It rained all morning and by noonish, we mounted up and headed out on the Sparta-Elroy State Trail. Sparta-Elroy State Trail. 

My cousin and his wife wanted to ride along the trail where we could go through the most old train tunnels. The trip one way would be 13 miles to the longest tunnel. The tunnels were for trains and some of the tunnels are over 140 years old.

Map below of the out and back route we took:




Photo in Infrared of my bike and at one of our first stops. 


The Kickapoo River near Wilton. Here the river looks more like just a little stream.
[photographed in Infrared with my little Canon ELPH]


Aaron brought his dog Ringo along. Ringo is his Spring Spaniel that he hunts pheasants with in the fall. Ringo is also considered as one of the family. 
Aaron said he hated to leave Ringo with others while he and his wife go on fun biking trips so he thought he'd train him to ride in the cart.

It went pretty darn well. I do have to say that Ringo was an extremely well behaved dog.



Speaking of carts. We saw a little tiny cart with 3 miniature Dachshunds in it! The dog's owners said the little dogs loved going on biking trips!
Hmmm. Wonder if Charlie would like to ride in one???

The first tunnel was made out of bricks. The work to make this tunnel was amazing. This tunnel is a quarter of a mile long . Bicyclist are to dismount and walk with headlamps or flashlights to get through the tunnel safely.


The second tunnel was short, more like an underpass than anything else. It was also full of water from the rains. We scooted through that and then pulled over and had sandwiches.

This last tunnel is 3/4 of a mile. This is where we stopped after peering into the tunnel. It was time to turn around and head back to camp. This tunnel had been blasted and chiseled out of rock.
All the tunnels had water in them and water dripping from above.  They were also quite cold!




On our way back, Monica decided that Aaron and I needed to have a photo together. Hint. I have the green helmet on. [Monica's photos]




Aaron, Monica, and me. Group selfie!


Me -- inside the first tunnel we went through. There were little alcoves all along the length of the tunnel. We have no idea what they would have been for.


The trip was so much fun.

On the trail and at camp, we talked about our childhood and all the adventures we had together as kids. The Tarzan Rope. Arnold the Grump, sledding the big hill, climbing trees, hunting frogs and snakes and all of the things we did while spending time in the summer together.

As kids and teens we were always the best of friends even if our mom's situations changed. We still don't understand all of it and don't dwell on it. 

The important part is we still enjoy each other's company and having adventures together.

I had such a great day. Good food, good conversations. AND a whole day off the farm! I have to thank my good neighbors for keeping an eye on hubby for me and making sure he was okay and had meals in my absence.

Conclusion regarding their E-bikes. They had pedal assist e bikes. Which means if you pedaled, it assisted the rider. I got to try it and I thought it was pretty neat. After all Aaron pulled his rather large dog in a carrier along the trail and I don't think he could have done that without the assist. 

One day I may even consider one. But I did fine with my regular bike. The trail did not have steep inclines in it.

---Oh... FYI: I am not sore today Eddie



















10 comments:

  1. You are in great shape! This does look like a really good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I've been a very lucky person to be able to be mobile all these years.

      Delete
  2. That is a fun tour. We've an old refurbished trail tunnel in Kingston, Ontario. It is wonderful, with lights and all. We took our grandies during Gramma Camp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That was neat! This is so far out in the rural area there is no electric, but maybe one day it will have lights!
      The tunnels have doors on them that are shut from November to April.

      Delete
  3. Do you suppose those little alcoves were to allow people to pass one another...or just rest stops:) You had a very interesting day! You are looking good all fit and thin!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it may have been for train equipment? This was a train tunnel so I doubt people were in it when it was built? I have no idea.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous8:00 PM

    You are something!!!! What a great bike trip and I love the photos. Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing bike ride! Those tunnels are so cool. What a wonderful time! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those tunnels are something! I would be a bit claustrophobic in them, at least the long ones. I think the alcoves were built for the workers- tracks require a great deal of maintenance, and the alcoves provide a place to get out of the way of a train. My BIL is a railroad guy, and his crew were always repairing track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the information on the alcoves. We thought it would be a place to get away from the trains! But we didn't have any idea.

      I never felt closed in as we could see the other end of the tunnel, but I am not claustrophobic!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.