Monday, June 24, 2024

Well that was something!

Three days ago, I found myself seated on the rocks at the bottom of my creek, creating a 'space' story against an 'interesting' backdrop. 



The creek bottom was my chosen spot, thanks to its cool rocks and mosses. I like this spot and use it often. I gives me a chance to get away from the house and enjoy some peace and quiet in the forest.
For the past 28 years, this area had water flowing through it. Not deep, just a few inches of water flowing over the rocks.

Now?



Anyway, I was literally able to sit on the rocks and arrange my setup in a dry section. Recent rains have cleared many weeds and rocks from the creek's bed.

24 hours later, the scene had changed.

And then, another day passed...


A boulder was moved along with several logs. It was the result of 3 inches of rain for the day's total along with one downpour that dropped an inch and a half in less than 45 minutes.

Yet, the rain performed its intended role in the Dry Runs. It cascaded through the boulders and 'washed' into the creek.


We call this event:  A Gully Washer





The heavy rain sweeps out the dry runs of old leaves and debris, also cleansing the creek beds.

I can't wait to return and discover the creek's new appearance once the water recedes. Observing the valley's subtle transformations over the past 28 years has been remarkable and it feels like Mother Nature puts on a show just for me. 
[not one other human aside from myself explores this region]

I presume the township will also have considerable work, given the damage the rain caused to our gravel roads. 


Welcome to the start of a new week.



5 comments:

  1. That is interesting, comparing the water levels. What a dump of rain, though. You've a long, interesting history here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO special to have your very own private area to soak up nature!!

    If only we could bottle up weather and release it when needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The gushing and flowing water is a glorious sight. You must be very pleased!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is lots of rain! The township roads are getting repairs here today. I like rain, but nice and gentle all day rain that can soak in and get the tree roots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:30 PM

    Gully Washer! Love it! Lori

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.