Wednesday, June 19, 2024

This is reality

Michael Douglas in the Movie Las Vegas:

"We were 17, you know, five minutes ago. It was just yesterday. I just don't know where it all went, you know? My brain cannot conceive how old this body is."


I had a conversation via text yesterday morning with a younger friend of mine who is trying to help her mom out. Her father had died suddenly he was a pretty active man. He mowed their 3 acres and did chopping wood for heat along with anything mechanical that needed fixing. He was the proverbial handyman at home. I suspect that he handled everything around the house which included the budget and banking.

Now the mom who is in her 70's is struggling to cope with everything left on her plate.

My friend said her folks never planned ahead, never thought out what 'might' happen if one of them left before the other. No plans. 
She knew we had installed a Mini-Split in our house and wanted to know if it heated and cooled. It does, but it is for 'single zone' heating and cooling. For us, that does our entire house. We have a small cottage.

Her mom's house is a very old farmhouse. You know, the type of old farm house that has slab dab additions and is two stories tall.

I asked my friend if her mother had considered selling the mini farm and moving to a smaller and easier place to keep up. To me, it is a no brainer. I can see the wisdom of it. But she has lived in their home for 30 years or more, I can see how hard it would be to let it go.

As a kid we lived in rentals, so I was used to seeing different homes and adjusting to different places. I think the longest we lived in one place may have been around 15 years. In my first marriage, we moved a lot. In less than two years we moved 7 times.
I never laid down roots in a community, but always adjusted.

I have lived on our place now for 28 years. At one time I could never ever see moving at all. Lately? I have thought about it a lot. My brain says I can do it all, and some days I can. 

Being a Caregiver for for 8 years has changed my attitude. I cared for MIL and watched as she lost the ability to drive, to make decisions, and to care for herself. It is a cold hard fact even though my Brain says it won't happen to me. 
In the blink of an eye one morning, I became the sole Caregiver to my husband.

Both of my parents downsized from the places they had. Dad got an apartment and loved the freedom he had from all the yard work and maintenance. He said it gave him the freedom to walk about and explore the new area he lived in. It made him very happy.

My friend said that she and her sister were going to have a sit down meeting with their mom to try and help her see reality. 

Sometimes I think long and hard about the changes that need to happen for me in the future. At one time, the thought of leaving my little farm was absurd. 

Country life is amazing. Except when it isn't.
There are very few if any services in a rural area. 

Now? I wouldn't mind a  small  tiny yard that would take me 15 minutes to mow. Or a place where I wouldn't have to walk a quarter of a mile to see if our gravel road was passable in the winter. 
A place where I could have groceries delivered, catch a bus, or walk to the nearest place to eat.



These are the things that I think about while sitting on the porch in the middle of the night with the moon shining and fireflies dancing in the pasture.

Things change. But we don't want them to.











16 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:32 AM

    Sobering thoughts. I know… I love our country life, but it is a lot of upkeep. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🥺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, I love it too, but social services and caregiving in our rural community is fairly nonexistent. I struggled so hard to get someone to see my MIL just once a week a few years ago and the situation has not improved. We have an extremely high shortage of things like public transport or services.
      Had I not been here for hubby he would not have gotten any care other than being put in a facility.

      Delete
  2. I've been thinking about this for a couple of years. When I lost most of my mobility it became a stark reality. Fortunately, I am improving but and elderly body will never regain the strength it had before three years of idleness. Our rural like is different from yours. Although rural, the large Minneapolis suburbs start 10-15 minutes from here. Minneapolis itself is a 25 minute drive. But, it's still a lot to care for. We'd be giving it thought if it weren't for the horses. They would need to be put down if we moved because of age.So, not an option at this point. Someone, me, never looked ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same issue with my mules, though I could find a good home for one of them with a kids' family.
      I know you have gone through some difficult times and I understand that.
      In 20 years or so there may be rural home health help, but for now we are a desert. I see many elders around here struggle and depend on the good will of neighbors for assistance which is awesome.
      I am looking ahead. I love the life I've had for years, but I can love a life somewhere else too. I am adaptable and have always been that way.

      I only look ahead because of what happened in the past.

      Delete
  3. We have always been country folk and don't ever see ourselves moving to a town or city. But never say never, some of those amenities might sound pretty dang nice as we get older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True enough! I'd be hard pressed to get a ride to town if I lost my ability to drive. It would be a very very long walk. :)

      Delete
  4. Anonymous10:00 AM

    Yes, it is hard to figure out the next step from a life we like and didn't plan on changing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to look at options. After all, I have lived in cities, suburbs, in rural areas. I love them all. Each have something to offer.

      Delete
  5. My parents retired and traveled at a moments notice. They both had busy lives. They did move often, the original flippers. They actually had a moment of clarity and custom built a single floor condo with walk in showers and wide doorways. And got a great offer and sold it. They purchased a new condo built in to a hillside with 3 floors (bathrooms upstairs and downstairs - none on main floor) with stairs and catwalks. First dad fell down the hill and broke his ankle, had a virus which destroyed most of his heart muscle (too old for a transplant). Mom was unsteady on her feet and was diagnosed with ALS. We ended up with a hospital bed in the dining room and a bedside commode. She died and my dad suffered a massive stroke. As the power of attorney and executor of their estates there was no planning for the future or organization. It took me weeks to gather papers when needed.
    This experience made me make sure I am not leaving this mess behind. We have all our ducks in a row. We have a small house on a manageable lot. We have been working to make sure everything is handicap accessible, replacing doors with wider doors, etc. We updated wills and power of attorneys and have healthcare papers in place. I have a notebook with all information for my children. I even purchased cemetery plots and had the stone made (minus the end dates). I still have friends in too big houses that they can't manage, too much land they can't manage. I can't say how important I think it is to make plans for your future.
    You are a blessing to your husband. Caregiving is so difficult. It is sad our communities don't provide more services.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we remodeled we made access to the house 'Ambulance' Stretcher Friendly, along with one mistake of not making the shower a walk in. Thank goodness for the idea of making the doors wider. I have had paramedics appreciate the ease of getting in and getting out. Not something to brag about, but there it is.

      Your folks sound as if they were very adventurous!
      Planning is something we do once we have had to handle a mess for those who haven't done so.
      :)

      Delete
  6. WE have to keep our options open! I am still looking at apartments for 55 and older with underground parking. I see the day coming maybe sooner than I think. I need to get this darn RA under control and managable...it is almost a full time job. Luckily my husband is half way well at the moment...hope it continues for a little while yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you and empathize totally. Debilitating pain can take over one's life and make it nearly impossible to do many daily routines.

      Delete
  7. I think part of the difficulty of choosing to move is that by the time it comes, if you haven't prepared, selling things off can be really daunting.
    My daughter took my autoharp into the city to try and sell it for me. I'm trying to declutter, while I have my marbles!
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this area, Estate Auctions work very well. We will probably have a few. Machinery, tools, and household items. But that is on hold for now.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous8:18 PM

    Aging and needs sure change the way we want to live and I can't imagine leaving our farm. I'm sure circumstances will tell us what to do. Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brain is still telling me that I am not aging...but there is that reality. I agree.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.