Monday, June 03, 2024

What a nice hike!


 

Another great hike in the books!

The two images above show how different devices record one's hiking or trekking. My MapMyWalk app said we did 8.6 miles, Candace's Google Pixel watch recorded 9.35 miles.

Who cares? It was a nice long walk/hike. 

The morning started out very foggy. I mean fog like pea soup fog! It had rained off and on all day for Saturday so I expected we'd find some soggy places.

After meeting in the parking lot, we set off. Our shoes instantly got soaked with the wet grass and we jumped or stepped over muddy puddles. I quipped that it looked like we'd get wet feet right away. And we did.

That did not dampen Candace's or her daughter's spirit. They were excited and happy to explore trails on a foggy wet morning. 

I asked her to tell me more about herself. We often meet up at the gym and have short conversations about work outs or other subjects. But a long walk is a great way to learn about someone else. 

I learned a lot about Candace and her daughter on our walk. 

Our feet got wet a few times. We were able to avoid the standing water on low spots and other times we couldn't. So we'd get wet feet and then they'd dry out again, only to get wet again. Shoes and feet wash!

The bugs actually were not as bad as I thought they might be, but bug spray was used especially while walking in the low areas next to the Kickapoo River.

The sun came out just before we were midway through our hike. The woods and nature were amazing and beautiful. 

Below---> Candace and her daughter.


We stopped around 7 miles where we found a flush of oyster mushrooms and several other tiny mushrooms growing along the trail. We peered at beautiful mosses and scenery while we had a short snack break.

When we got back to the parking lot, Candace asked if they could go again. Sure! I asked her if she wanted to do a hard hike. I had planned on my next one being a more technically difficult hike around Hanson's Rock. It involves steep hills and some careful foot placement around rocks and roots.

She and her daughter said they'd love the challenge.


During the hike, I only took my camera out twice. I didn't think of taking photos of the trail or of us. I didn't do selfies. I just enjoyed the company of others who walked with me.

What a perfect morning.




10 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to spend a day and get to know someone. I think you may have found hiking buddies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am getting some hiking requests now from other gym members. :)
      I still like solo hikes, but it is fun showing others around and getting to know them better.

      Delete
  2. That is lovely!
    (ツ) from Jenn Jilks , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:05 AM

    Hiking through it all was still a lot of fun. Water and mud made it more realistic.!! LD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the water sections and mud was sort of fun after we got into it!

      Delete
  4. Nice that you have friends to hike with! That is a long hike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't seem really long until the last little bit, but I do a lot of long walks/hikes all of the time. It was fun to share the hike.

      Delete
  5. I'm so happy you had such a great time! Conversation and hiking must have been fun since you didn't have time for photos. It's great to really meet new friends and it sounds like they can't wait to join you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have stopped for shots, but I just took my little pocket camera and grabbed a photo of mom and daughter on the trail so they could have a nice photo.
      When I go solo, I don't worry about boring others when I stop a lot to look at little things!

      It is such a good way to get to know someone better, thank you.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.