Wednesday, April 08, 2009

And to ride



A lot of things went through my mind this morning as I was preparing to go out with Badger and Morris.

I thought about how lucky I was to have a good job and the freedom to do things I love to do. I guess I was counting my blessings as I was spitting out mule hair and tacking up Badger.

We wandered the woods today in search of Skunk Cabbage also known as Symplocarpus foetidus. I think that means fetid plant or something.
Well we found the little smelly plants coming up in the boggy area of the First Valley.

It is sort of pretty, but don't step on one, it does stink.

I'm enjoying my hobby of finding plants and flowers and trying to put names to them. Of course Badger and Morris are part of that hobby.

We ended up at the edge of the 'Back Valley' looking down from the upper edge. I really had a 'hankering' to go down into it and explore ... but that was not on my route slip that I'd left for Rich.
When I am out by myself, I always leave a note as to the 'route' I am going to take while riding or hiking. The cell phone is nice, but doesn't work in many of our valleys.
So I write down a route and pretty much stick to it.
If I don't turn up...then Rich knows where to start looking for me.

I must say I have a very unique relationship with my dog and my mule Badger. It is as if we always are communicating even though we are all different species.

While I'm busy doing photographs, both the dog and mule hang out near me. I really like the silent partnership we three have.
It is hard to explain to people who don't have animals.

Each time I go ... I am on an adventure and the worlds difficulties fade away.

I am left with the sounds of nature, birds, water, wind...

and I am pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.