Tuesday, December 26, 2023

ER ER off the the ER...

 Okay that sounds rather blasé and flippant but it wasn't. The local ER and I are friends. I've transported hubby numerous times over the years to them. 

The amusing accidents were rather well, amusing. 

Sir, what brings you in today?

I was practicing my ballet in the pasture and tripped over an electric fence. I think I broke an ankle.

Sir, what brings you in today?

Oh playing man from Smokey River with my Stepson racing down a steep hillside. I ran into a tree on my young mule. Then a bull chased me up a tree. [broken ribs and ankle]

Sir what brings you here today?

Well I got bucked off a horse and he tap danced on my head with his hooves before running off.

Those were the accidents when he was that wild guy who could ride anything and did. Those were true stories one I still recall vividly. Tying a maxi pad to his head wound with a kerchief was one of his most embarrassing moments as a cowboy. But it kept the blood from getting all over the car.

Well, yikes. I was going to head off on a whole big tangent regarding healthcare, but I will not. Let's just skip that.


My little cold gave my husband a Severe COPD Exacerbation. We are home, he is miserable, and our house is quiet.

I'm being the nurse, bringing him meds, nebs, and providing support care [I coulda been a nurse!] 'round the clock.

I guess I'll have plenty of time to undecorate the tree --- I don't want to. Or watch movies I like.

However, the best gift I have is still being able to talk and be with my sweet old Grumpy Gus.

He makes Grumpy Old Men seem mild when he is sick.

He'll thank me later when he feels better.


12 comments:

  1. I had to chuckle at the use of a maxi pad for head trauma! Not funny, but all is well that ends well. It made for a good story.

    You have a good attitude, along with your all your TLC. When things get rough around my place, I literally say to myself "how lucky am I that I have XYZ" to deal with. We are fortunate to have others to care for, even if it doesn't feel like it sometimes.

    Truly hope Rich is on his way to getting better! Don't forget to take care of Val!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Some folks are good as caregivers and others are not. I never thought I'd be at all. Maybe I missed my calling.

      Yep, caring for me with short walks for fresh air and nice naps...and MY own movie nights!

      Delete
    2. Maybe a lil ol' Grumpy Gus Lego scene will make Rich a bit less grumpy? Glad you are taking care of yourself, as well.

      Delete
    3. I have to wait yet, he can't stay up long enough to watch TV right now.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous9:53 AM

    You are the most professional caretaker I know! And I am sure you are appreciated. Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. He will thank me a lot later.

      Delete
  3. Poor Grumpy Gus. I'm sorry his COPD got bad enough for an ER visit. But is sounds like they put him on the right track.
    My son had an exciting Christmas Eve visit with his father in law on Christmas Eve. He fell face first on his face full of benign facial tumors which started bleeding controllably. And our high 60's Christmas temperatures created too much fog for lifeflight. He was driven to a trauma center the opposite direction of his normal trauma center. And he thinks this is all ridiciulous so his family is taking turns sitting on him in ICU so he doesn't check himself out. Very Grumpy.
    So glad your grumpy gus is home!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I was there in 2018 with Grumpy! I'm so sorry that happened!
      Hubby is near end stage COPD so any time a cold happens, it can turn deadly within days.
      I know the guys usually want to just get patched up and sent on their way, right?

      Delete
  4. Darn, Rich got it, good thing you took him in to the ER. Hopefully they gave him good meds. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the good stuff for COPD and lung issues. He was told never to wait when he got a cold to get to a doctor. Of course he waits right? Stubborn ol' Grumpy Gus!

      Delete
  5. I think Grumpy Gus is universal with men when they don't feel well. Some do it with more style than others! Let's hope this is a short bought and he can be just regular Gus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I belonged to a chat board waaaayyyy back when there were fun groups to be in. I always referred to Rich as Grumpy Gus. He isn't always grumpy, but the nickname sure worked!
      Thanks, I hope it is a short bout also.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.