Thursday, December 21, 2023

Colors in December & Winter's Solstice


I do love the fact that the month of December gives me an opportunity to enjoy tons of beautiful lights indoors and so many things to practice Still Life with.
The felted snowman and the little ceramic tree were items I used to decorate my MIL's room when she was in the Nursing Home.




Gnomes. Well, since I live in a Nordic part of Wisconsin, we all love Gnomes. You can't go anywhere without seeing Gnomes and Trolls in gift stores.

I am searching for a gnarly looking troll to add to my collection.


I did get out for some hiking this week. I went out with one thing in mind. To find some December Colors.

Along Old Hwy 131 at the Kickapoo Valley Reserve --> Highbush Cranberry!


Along a deer trail at home on a gloomy day ----> Multiflora Rose 


When I got down to the creek bed I sat on rocks and looked for some teenie tiny things. This log lays across the rocks and the place where the creek flows in wetter years.




So I got up close and personal with the moss. 



Powderhorn Lichen. Those tips should turn bright red and 'flower' in February!





This grey lichen was found on an old oak log. The tree had been blown down late in the year in 2018. It is near the Powderhorn lichen I photographed above but a different log.

A common name is Rosette Lichen. I think. Since I am no expert, this is a pretty good guess.



Mosses and Lichens are pretty easy to spot in the winter since there are no leaves to hide them!


Happy Winter's Solstice!
It was too overcast to enjoy a beautiful sunrise, so I will give you this one from a few years ago!



11 comments:

  1. You show me common items that I don't pay attention to through a whole new lens, no pun intended. Who knew the beauty of fungi? You.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fungi are very pretty and you capture them beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful world you are sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:50 PM

    That is a great idea to go looking for colors. LD. I seem to be behind in shooting photos. I did lights on the tree tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:59 AM

    Merry Christmas from Texas, Val! RHill, TX

    ReplyDelete
  6. You found plenty of color! Love the macro shots. Do you eat the cranberries?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No not these, they are not a true cranberry. But apparently some people do add them to jellies.
      Thanks on the macro work, it is my favorite thing to do.

      Delete
  7. These are lovely flora! We're pretty cold here. Ours are frozen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be able to find the lichen, it is there year round as well as the moss. The moss isn't actively growing right now. BUT...I think this would be true for your area, not positive!
      :)

      Delete
  8. Anonymous5:44 PM

    Lots of things are still growing. They rain should make things better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice shots! You found a lot of color inside & out.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.