Friday, June 23, 2023

Nature is curious


Bat: Found under my car a few days ago. I picked it up with cardboard and moved it into shade and foliage on the north side of the house.
 


Our fungi hunts were very successful, both Olive and I bagged full canvas bags of both Golden Oysters and Chicken of the woods the day after we got 2/10ths of an inch of rain. [That was last Sunday]



However, when I went to our forest the next day all I found were nasty slugs climbing all over the oysters. Even though that is gross, I thought it was interesting. The slugs love moisture and it makes sense that they would gather just above the lowest part of our narrow valley and steep hillsides to enjoy the moisture.

For your entertainment....
Classica slug dance -> video is 15 seconds long.


We have misty humid mornings 




and 35% humidity by early afternoon with brown/blue skies.

The colors of the morning sunrise are orange.




The evenings just fade away...

With poor air quality and intense heat, not much is going on around here. My days consist of getting things done outdoors before noon.




Happy Summer to everyone. This summer is sure and odd one.


8 comments:

  1. Ewww on the bat! I have bat phobia leftover from my childhood.

    You have become a master forager. I am thankful for our cool mornings. However, ours are not misty. We have two Whippoorwills sharing our general area this year. I hope their "pray for rain" back-n-forth calls are answered this weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hopeful for tomorrow evening also. It would be nice to see some real rain!
      As for foraging, I gathered Lamb's Quarters yesterday to add to my supper greens. It was yummy and tastes like swiss chard.

      Delete
  2. Love the slug dance! You are green, we are brown. It's been around 90F all week. The sunrise is beautiful, even if it is that color because of poor air quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This ridge is green, our pasture is crunchy, but yes, we got 2/10ths of an inch on Sunday which was called a million dollar rain.
      Yeah, that 90? Yuck. I can tolerate it because the humidity isn't at 80%!
      Stay cool!

      Delete
  3. Fresh fungi is good. Yes it is a strange summer. I had to just come inside today as my age and the heat just could not cut the mustard. I like your rows of field crops view. It must be at the edge of your woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That cropland is on the ridge which is about a 5 minute walk uphill from my house.
      I know the heat is tough isn't it?

      Delete
  4. We are getting some rain this evening, a nice gentle rain sure hope it goes your way. Cooler weather too! The slugs are interesting and yeah for you finding some great mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the funny post at the end. Isn't that the truth!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.