Monday, June 12, 2023

Gardens, weeds, trees, and stuff


The shade garden got more sunlight Sunday even if it was cloudy and cool.

We had a late and very wet snowfall this spring which took the top of a tree and bent it right over the shade garden.

Since I am not one that could operate a chainsaw to take down the tree and clean up the mess, I put some feelers out and finally Olive volunteered her husband. 

It was a harder job than any of us expected. Getting a tree down that kept hanging up was a bit dicey, but her hubby calmly took it down bit by bit. When he started sawing it up into pieces, I told him to let me know what he would like stacked for them to use in their wood stove. 

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

We made swift work of dragging the limbs and unwanted parts into the wood pasture [I took the hot wires down]. The big chunks that were cut were stacked next to the hosta garden to await another time for transport. 

Rich said he'd be happy to transport it with the skid steer when the time came. This is how we do it on in our 'neighborhood'.

Now I am eyeing that section of the yard for another Wildflower Garden mixed with more split up hostas and ferns. I don't get into strict planning, it just happens.

I thought I'd try out the little trimmer against the huge pile of invasive thistles. Last year I gave up cutting them down in this area and that was a huge mistake.


Sundance decided to supervise. At one time my neighbor had cattle on the other side of the fence. We used it as a large pasture after he died and his brothers took over the land and Rich kept it mowed twice a year. The 'deal' was simply that we mowed it in the late summer so the deer hunting party could walk through it.

The absentee owners then decided that we should pay rent and we took our hotwire down and stopped mowing. Of course all their weeds became our weeds.


So I realized a few things. This is a really big job. Bedstraw and other grasses are growing thick in between the thistles.

I chop with a machete and use the blade a bit at a time. I have to pick up as much of the thistles as I can and pile them. If they are left in place, it would be too prickly for the mules to eat the underlying grasses.


I made some headway. Tomorrow I'll take out the scythe and a rake along with the trimmer and the machete. I'm pretty determined not to let it seed out this year.

The yellow line is my progress against the thistles.


The inspectors came out to nose around and eat some of the previously hidden grasses. There are my piles of thistles! Yikes!


Of course I had a support team and we agreed to head back to the house when we felt some rain drops and the wind changed.



Sadly it was just a few droplets. Perhaps we'll get some tonight. Rain will soften the thistle stems and make them easier to hack, chop, and pick up.

I know this sort of thing works as I worked on another patch of the same kind of thistles and now, three years later, the thistles are easy to manage. So I have some hope!

9 comments:

  1. So nice of Olive ('er hubby) to step up! Such a great friend, endlessly helpful. Those thistles are a force to be reckoned with! Reminds me of clearing thick thistles taller than us, out of our large butterfly garden area. They "get ya" no matter how covered up a person is. Good job and I am with you, consistent weeding does make a difference.

    We also got a few teaser droplets. However, it rained early this morning! Hoping for more later today before another dry spell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went out this morning while it was drizzling and used the scythe, it went much faster! Damp weeds cut faster with a scythe and a good swing.
      Good workout. I still have quite a bit to do.

      Delete
    2. I was out weeding in the sprinkles too! Also got a few more saved seeds planted. It is a good workout.

      Delete
  2. We have thistle in the pasture. It's been a never ending battle. You and Mark are the only people I know who use a scythe! Felling trees is tricky business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:41 AM

    You work so hard!!!! Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getting rid of thistle is hard work! Hope you get some rain...I hear the smoke is coming back in on Wednesday. ( Supposed to be the first car show of the season too...darn)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nooo! I don't want that smokey stuff back! :(
      That sure would ruin the car show plans.

      Delete
  5. I'm surprised the mules don't eat the thistle. When we first got here all the grazing pens had thistle, and it was the first thing my horses ate. They really cleaned it up!
    You are making good progress. Nice to have a handy little tool instead of a cumbersome scythe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do eat bull thistle flowers and eradicate them, but not the spikey Canada Thistle that these are. They do browse on the wilted ones. I think the nasty sharp spikes are not something they like?
      The donkeys were good at eating everything including briars. I miss the donkeys!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.