Saturday, June 17, 2023

Hiking a well used trail

I think the most well used trail by bicyclers and equine riders is the Little Canada and Ice Cave trail loops at the Kickapoo Valley Reserve. Generally I can usually hike a trail and almost never run into others.

I met 2 sets of bicyclists and 2 groups of horses on my hike Friday. 

I've almost always met someone on these trails except in the dead of winter.

Even in the winter, it is a well used trail for snowshoers. It winds up and down and around the ridge and dry runs. It passes through a couple of pine plantations and a mixed forest.

The hike was around 5 miles, I took the hiking only trail that runs north of the first leg of Little Canada. It is a little used trail. It doubles as a maintenance trail for work and for events at KVR.

I'm going to just toss up some shots here and let you enjoy. These were with a cell phone.





While on the maintenance trail I walked down to the old trail we used to ride above the river. The old trail is still there and it was closed off years ago due to the fact that an equine and rider walk within a few feet of an 80 foot drop off.



Photo of my youngest son standing on the trail in 1996



I enjoyed the hike and mostly took my time just looking around at all of the light and shadows in the forest.

I took my infrared camera and enjoyed some shooting too.







What a beautiful day to be out in those woods. No bugs and no humidity.


However I sure do hope we get some rain tomorrow. 
The weather service upped our chance to 50%!



4 comments:

  1. No bugs! Good for you! The skeeters are horrid here, we had another dragonfly hatch today so maybe that will help! You had a nice day out on your hike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a true forest with the density of trees. I like trails where it really is cutting through the thickness of natural forest. Falling off a cliff would not be so good. I lean on my iPhone for shots every once in a while as I send shots to my brother that lives in California.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous. I love going on hikes with you. We had no rain for 21 days. My husband says our total for the last 3 days is 5", 3.4 during one evening! I wish we could spread it around!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice views on your hike. Our place desperately needs more than the occasional sprinkle, every 8-10 days. I was so surprised to see that not far from us (to the West) it is green, as far as the eye can see. At this rate we will be looking to buy hay for the first time since we moved here.Your rain chances today are higher than ours. I hope you get some!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.