Saturday, June 10, 2023

Tools I can use...


Hubby is such a nice guy. He thought that I should learn to use a saw as in chain saw. I told him that I'd cut my leg off easily and that I couldn't stand the noise.

Besides, big trees should be left to people with skill and knowledge. We agreed at least on that. So I saw this thing and asked him what he thought about it.

It is a mini saw that is battery operated.

It was a version of this:

After my hand sawing debacle he thought if I had a better tool, I wouldn't be tugging on branches to break them. I could saw through them.

So I got this---->


After a lot of instruction on how to safely use this tool..... 

I got my first assignment from the Boss. Clear out lower branches where he mows so he didn't have to duck or get slapped in the face with leaves.



Years ago when he downed trees, he'd have me hook up the logging chain so he could use the tractor to pull the logs and heavy stuff to another area for cutting up. I decided to use a rope and attach it to the the 4 wheeler. Then I dragged the whole works to a brush pile I can burn this winter [if we ever get moisture again!].


In the summer pasture the snow had damaged several box elders so that their branches hung so low that the mules couldn't get under them to eat the grass. I decided to see how the little saw really worked on a hard job.

The yellow area is where all the branches were hanging to the ground covering up the grass.


I was really amazed at how fast and easy this job was. Much better than a hand saw. I won't be doing big jobs, but for cleaning big branches off the fence, it will be incredible.

I have a lot to pick up and drag.


The next job is to make sure the forest fence is up to snuff. I was going to avoid it this year but without rain, our pastures are looking sickly and perhaps the gals will enjoy foraging on the steep hillside. 

I've tried feeding them hay and they leave it be, so they are getting enough out there in the woods.

Hubby then came up with another fine idea. He thought I'd like a nice battery trimmer that has blades that will whack up those pesky weeds in the other sections of forest and meadows. The ones I've always had to take the scythe or machete to in past years.

Swinging a scythe or running a 3.5 lb electric trimmer? I think I'll go for the trimmer and see what happens.
If nothing else, it will give me great satisfaction to cut down noxious weeds easily.

Look out you nettles and thistles! Watch out curly dock! I'm coming for you!

12 comments:

  1. Good luck and be safe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:27 PM

    All good! Whatever will do the job and make your life easier. Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool tool...I think I need one too! Looks like it is just the ticket! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like that tool, I love using it. The electric trimmer is nice too. It doesn't spray grass all over your face and legs. I used a blade to chop down the weeds under the electric fence up near the house.
      And I did not run out of a charge either!

      Delete
  4. Anonymous5:54 AM

    I got one of those electric trimmer saws for Christmas and love it! You’re right. It makes trimming limbs so much easier. RHill, TX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like using it. I'm ready to clean up some trails later this summer!

      Delete
  5. Awesome, have tools will trim! Glad you found something/s that is manageable and will make keeping up with the never ending job of trimming safer and easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still getting used to using the trimmer, I used it today to attack the weeds under the electric fence and some thistles.
      A brush hog would make short work of some of the things I am trying to take care of.

      Delete
  6. I think Mark should have one, but he is stubborn. You are always busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I showed this to my neighbor and he has an electric chain saw, he liked it. It is easier to trim light things than hefting a heavy saw.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.