Friday, June 16, 2023

Thursday specials...


What a sunrise!
Or should I say...Wow, what a non sunrise!

In fact, there was absolutely no sun orb in the sky at the time of sunrise. My weather app said haze, poor air quality, and some fog.
This is what I saw:
[Taken with my Olympus camera]


However, all was not lost:


An hour later the sun shone through briefly in an odd color:


I went back to the ridge to check the mail and saw this after sunrise. It looks like some scene out of a Science Fiction Movie doesn't it?

This field was corn last year and it should be rotated to soybeans, but I'm not sure. It was sprayed and planted, but it doesn't look too great. The fog/haze finally got some orangish color to it.




The air quality lifted somewhat so I went out and worked at the forest 'pasture'. The forest is deceiving in that there actually is a lot for the mules to graze on. This section is not used in the fall and winter. It is too far out for me to check on everyone easily.

All summer I take a daily walk to check the fencing. The deer don't seem to knock things off the insulators much during the summer.

Mule/Deer trail:



Oyster Mushrooms near the creek in a dry run which has moist air flowing through it. The red arrows point to the delicious fungi.


The girls moving about in the summer meadow after they'd explored the steep woods.


Unless we get some good rain, our black berries in the woods won't be very plentiful.



I am happy to report that A. Corn finally met Fern. 
A. Corn was a bit shy, so he ... well... did this --->



Fern pulled a wild strawberry out of her shoulder bag and ... well... it was a nice date.



I think they will be a pretty happy couple. Neither one of them look lonely any more.







9 comments:

  1. Ahh so cute Fern and A. Corn make a cute couple! We were clearer today...I can still smell smoke. It makes for eerie photos:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some nice varied terrain for your equines. All flat here!
    Hope you get the rain you need, we finally did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the terrain is challenging for them, but they do it. One of the nice perks is that they learn to maneuver easily over logs and rocks in their way.
      There is a very low chance we could get some rain tonight. Then it will get hot hot next week.
      :(

      Delete
  3. We prayed for a good rain after 21 days of no rain. We got 3.4 inches in two hours. I guess we prayed too hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a chance of 20% tonight...I am hopeful. However...

      Delete
  4. I think electric fencing would be tough to maintain if deer keep knock through on it. I could see mules not interested in the timber for very long but what do I know about mules. We just raised corn, beans, hogs and cattle. My dad would put up electric wires as a temp untill he got a new fence built or he had an area where cows would try to crowd over a low area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fencing isn't that terribly hard. Most of the time I can just put the hot wire back on insulators. Rarely does the fencing break due to the fact that we use 1/4" rope hot wire.
      The mules will browse on grasses in the forest and other things. I've seen them eat ferns, trim certain trees, and even eat berry bushes.
      The donkeys used to clean up all of the multiflora rose and any nettles they could find. I do miss their browsing!

      Delete
  5. Such an expansive and awesome varied place for your mules!

    The air quality/changes are something. Some days I can "taste" the wildfire air. Blech. Makes breathing harder and fuels my allergies. Must be very hard on Rich.

    I think the couple will be happy and enjoy your creative storylines :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it is a just like the terrain we live and ride in.--Well, when I get to ride.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.