Saturday, June 24, 2023

Why I wake early


In the summer, I wake up without an alarm or even a nudge from anything else. My eyes open and my body says 'Wake up'

On these hot hot days I'm generally out the door as soon as it thinks about getting light out. Sometimes Charlie and I take a walk to on the gravel road to greet the day.
In some ways I think this is the best part of the day.

At least it is right now. It is cooler and the Air Quality Alerts aren't so bad.

Olive's Flower Garden





Mary Oliver says it quite well so I don't have to.

Why I Wake Early

Hello, sun in my face
Hello, you who make the morning
and spread it over the fields
and into the faces of tulips
and the nodding morning glories,
and into the windows of, even, the
miserable and the crotchety---

...
Watch, now, how I start the day
in happiness, in kindness.


 

7 comments:

  1. This is lovely, my dear.❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely poem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:03 PM

    What a beautiful post! Thank you. I am an early riser. I love to see the night drain away and light appear and this time of year to hear birds awake. Take Care, Kaye

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning photos of the Poppies! I am so not a morning person:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know you aren't and my hubby is NOT a morning person. But when he gets up early and crowds my 'quiet' time, I get grumpy if I am in the house.
      So best thing for me is quiet time while walking!

      Delete
  5. Great way to begin a day!! Wish I was wired to be a morning person. As you know I am up early, but not awake. Beautiful backlit photos! Poppies are such interesting flowers. So delicate yet tough, all in the same plant. I used to grow a soft peach variety at my old home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was never wired that way until I had a job that required me to get up at 3am to I could work a 4 to 4 shift part time. Eventually, after not working all those odd hours, it just came to me...I wake up and enjoy that peace and quiet.
      In the summer it is as soon as it gets a wee bit light out.
      Usually I am in bed by Dark:Thirty though.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.