Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Sunday Distractions

 I was trying to daydream
but my mind kept wandering.

~~~~
Steven Wright


I listened to an interview of Steven Wright who apparently is a standup comedian. He wrote a book called Harold that is about a 7 year old in the 1960's. Harold has a meandering mind and wonders about things while he is in school. 

The description of Harold's mind reminds me of myself in grade school. The window of the classroom held so many secrets and it was like a continuous movie of my thoughts and imaginations. Certainly nothing in the classroom interested me.

I may just have to read Harold.

I do day dream too. I sometimes just sit quietly in the meadow or on the porch and look at nothing letting the sounds that surround me take my serious thoughts away and I am left with a brain that amuses itself. I don't have to make myself do it.

It just wanders on its own.


Maybe that's why playing has become such a relaxing thing for me to do.

After all gardening in this weather is HOT work!


The rain we got yesterday was soaked into the dry ground and still, some plants needed watering.


After all was said and done, the guys hopped into their antique cars. Farmer Bob wanted to show off his new collectable car and Grandpa wanted to take his chicken for a drive....


The girls were happy to get them out of their hair for awhile.





7 comments:

  1. I was a window student, too! I miss all those empty hours with nothing to do but look out the windows and make up stories. I remember more about my daydreams in school than what went on in class. I wonder how much better my grades might have been if I had paid more attention? Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I daydreamed often until one teacher captured my attention in 6th grade and from then on I was an A student. However, the daydreaming was still a big part of my life.
      My father encouraged it. He was a dreamer too.

      Delete
  2. Window gazer/thinker here too! All I wanted to be was outside. Still all I want to do. You should absolutely read Harold.

    Cute story line. Looks like you got some new toys :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those characters have been around for about a year. My new ones are NASA related. Picked some things up at a garage sale!
      I change the hair and the clothes often to suit the 'theme'.

      Delete
  3. You are a creative, contemplative person. Your playing is a way for you to express this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of my projects are day dreamed in my mind for weeks before I start. Many times the reality of the actual project means I throw out a lot of my dreamed up ideas. I was just thinking making 13 different wooden birdhouses that winter was certainly excessive. My brain would not stop recreating something new.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a day dreamer too, a creative mind needs an outlet! Love the car parade!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.