Sunday, July 12, 2020

Gardening.




First some photos from the other morning. I thought these were pretty neat. I drove out to a different area to see the foggy sunrise. These were actually taken pre dawn and I was home by the time the sun appeared through the mist.

We had a pretty nasty storm that afternoon that dumped 2 inches of rain in less than a half hour with high winds that toppled our corn.
Thankfully there was no hail so the corn survived.

The photo below is the corn the next morning. But it is upright now.


Before it got too hot, I picked the carrots and the green beans.
Yes, I put a dinosaur in my garden for fun. I sent this to my youngest grandson who adores dinosaurs. He can name the type this is, I can't.


I spent the morning out on the porch with Charlie getting things ready to blanch as soon as we had a break in the weather.




After blanching them, I found to my surprise that I only had enough to make two bags with my vacuum seal!

I had to make a Saturday morning run to the post office to pick up a large parcel that they wouldn't deliver so I thought I'd run to the store to get a roll of bags while I was at it.
WHAT a mistake! 

First, no vacuum seal bags...the shelves were barren. And second? The place was over run with moms and kids with no masks and sense of distancing.

Wait. How did it become this way? One year ago, none of this would have bothered me [the kids and crowds]. 

Anyway thanks to my Kenosha friends I could still dry my carrots and beans and vacuum seal them in pint jars. 
I ordered the bags on line when I got home.




So this is what the carrots look like after being dehydrated.


7 trays of green beans fit in a pint jar, that is about 14 servings.
I will mix and match some of my dehydrated foods to make mixed veggies for soups this winter. It is quite handy to open a jar and shake it up then add it to broth.

I like to also seal the veggies in small frozen packets for meals.


I'll end my Saturday here.

Tomorrow I'll explain my little Bear-y ~~~ Berry adventure.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you were busy! Yes online is the only thing that saves us from those visits to stores. Bear...oh my :(

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.