Tuesday, July 21, 2020

As though I had Wings....

I think there are a lot of sayings about how good a horse is for you.

I think they should include mules don't you?

What can I say?
I had a friend who was going to come riding with me. I had visitors who were going to come and visit this summer and distance themselves...who wanted to come riding with me.

So far none of that has worked.

So I walked out to the pasture yesterday to see who would come to me while I was holding a halter and lead rope.




Sunshine.

She is my all around go anywhere little mule. The mule we tried so hard to sell at one time. 
The mule we nearly gave up on when she had a severe injury.

When Rich and I started riding her at parks and other places, people started to notice her. Some even offered us a small price for a small mule.
She isn't a pony, but she isn't tall either.

She is just right for me now. Easy on easy off, and a mature mindset.

Well, put all that aside.
I've been really nervous about riding solo. I was spoiled last summer with Molly coming to visit and ride at least once or twice a week.

I realize now, I'm back to just me.

I took Siera last week on some of the steep hillsides after we toured the ridge top. She did fine.

Nothing like those long ears!

I guess I am tired of waiting and I have no one but myself to blame.

I weighed the risks of riding solo in the WildWood and decided that I can safely do it with these two.


Accidents do happen, I know that.

However.

The calm I felt after riding yesterday was immeasurable.

I felt a peace so overwhelming.



I want to think again of dangerous and noble things,
I want to be light and frolicsome,
I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
as though I had wings.
~Mary Oliver



2 comments:

  1. Wear your helmet and take your phone! Hope you finsd someone to ride with you soon...have you asked the crossfit group? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have worn a helm4Het since 1992 when I became a 4H leader, it saved my noggin more than once! I've ridden since then quite a bit alone. Since I moved here I've been solo more often than not.
      One of my CrossFit friends was going to come today [Wednesday] but cancelled as she has to take a parent to the doctor's office.
      The phone doesn't work in the first valley, but I do take it.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.