Thursday, July 23, 2020

Flowers, Charlie, Sierra




Charlie doesn't 'do' a lot of HOT weather activities nor does he hike with me on trails that are full of tall grass and weeds, he has too hard of a time getting through it with his short legs.
Oh, he is a trooper but sometimes he realizes he isn't built for mushing through tall weeds.
And he just sits down and stares at me or puts his paws on my knees.

So I try to keep our hikes together for more temperate days. I took him yesterday along our neighbor's hay field that had been mowed and picked up. He was delighted to hunt grasshoppers and voles.

It was still a bit muggy, but we enjoyed the fact that it was overcast and the sun was not burning down on us.


I mean look at that face! He looks Happy!

I hunted bugs, he hunted whatever it is his nose finds.







Charlie was pooped when we got home so I weeded the flower garden and checked on the veggie garden.

After I made supper [BLT's!!! with tomatoes from the porch tomato plant!]...
I caught up Siera.

She came along willingly enough.



My saddle needs cleaning! This is the saddle I like to use on Siera and Mica. It is super light and is designed to mimic the Military Saddle called the McClellan. 

It isn't though, it is an old Stonewall saddle without the fancy fenders and stirrups. The saddle weighs next to nothing, yet it fits all of the mules I ride.
I've had some debates with others regarding 'mule' saddles and I have a hand made saddle on a mule tree that is excellent. However, it IS heavy. So this is my go to saddle along with the old Simco I modified and use English stirrups on.

Okay. Here is what it looks like all cleaned up.


Believe it or not, I feel very secure in this saddle and have had several 'spooks' with different critters and just rode it out.

Okay, onward.

I thought I'd just take Siera for a ridge ride. Boring as all get out, but riding is relaxing and she is willing. The mules know when I ride the ridge that it won't be much work. We just ride out to the blacktop and stop to watch another neighbor's cattle.


Mule ears are large and very expressive. Here she is listening while I ask her to stand so I can take a photo of her and the hay field.


Siera is a very mild mannered mule. Her ears seem to be always on alert unless she is following another mule or has company with her. Then they flap out sideways like airplane wings.

One of Siera's attributes is that when something jumps up in the woods and startles her. She freezes until she figures out what is going on.

However, large tractors and combines do make her do half spins...in sort of slow motion. 

I often am asked which mule I like the best. I am torn. I love Sunshine as she is loving and a no nonsense mule that will tackle difficult terrain as if it is a bridle trail. 

I love Siera as she is a wonderful ditz at times. But she is a gaited Peruvian Mule and she has an incredible gait on the flat. She too is very personable and kind.
Every girl that has ever come to the farm and ridden her, has fallen in love with her.

I was hoping to ride the 'cave' trail today. It isn't a groomed trail, but its an old logging road that isn't easy to get to. I have a friend who wants to come and ride but I'm not sure my riding equals her field road rides. My riding requires a lot of ducking branches, mucky streams, roots, steep tracks, and all out fun.

To be continued....

2 comments:

  1. Charlie is smiling! Good for you to get t and about on your four legged friends! She looks so calm:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our first ride off the farm is always a bit dancy. Second time? She is cool as a cucumber.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.