Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Parfrey's Glen

I went to meet with a former 4H student of mine who is now ALL grown up...and married!

We've kept track of each other over the years, but finally decided to get together and do what we both love.
Hiking.

They guided me first to Parfrey's Glenn in Devil's Lake State Park.

We came to the cedar grove and began to explore.  The kids were fascinated by the formations of ice. And how slippery it was.  We spent quite a bit of time enjoying the small frozen stream.


I loved the textures and colors of the cedar trees by themselves.
I made a mental note to come back again.

We went on to explore Parfrey's Glenn.



I learned that walking sticks are probably the most helpful item one can have to check your footing before you take a step.

And I found out the hazards of having friends who have cameras also....


This was what I was taking a photo of....



The water was running under the ice and we could hear it and were constantly checking if the ice was thick enough. It was very slippery and I'd wish I'd brought my ice cleats along.


We hiked all of the way up to the falls and then spent time just enjoying the place.




The weather really came through for us.  It was temperate enough to be comfortable in good winter gear and wonderful for hiking.


Next stop, Pewitt's Nest.
And we had no idea what to expect there as none of us had been there before.


But I did know this.
Parfrey's Glen, I will be back!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.