Sunday, January 03, 2021

The Little Red Mule


Sunshine is 22. For a mule, that is no big deal. Her mom was the first horse I ever trained. Sort of. Cheyanne was 'sort' of green broke when I got her. 

Anyway, that is long ago and another time. Sunshine is my sturdy, mindful mule. Not much bothers her. When she was young I worked hard with her. She was going to be a Grandkid mule. So I'd ride and holler and grab branches as we rode along on a trail. I'd clap my hands, cry, throw temper tantrums, and slide off without notice. I did many of the same things with her half brother, Badger. Oh...he was my heart and soul mule.

Except...dogs. Dogs who run up underneath her and growl and snap do get under her skin. 
She is like her half sister Sundance and will give chase to any unwanted creature in her pasture. 

Enough of that.
It had been a while since I went out for a ride and I really miss riding. I used to ride nearly every day when I had Badger. I have to grab time when I can. 
I settled things in the house and walked out with a halter and lead rope.

Sunshine walked up to me. After all, I hadn't made her work since July. She had just been nothing more than a pasture pet and hay burner for a long time. 

I tossed a saddle on her and we headed up the driveway towards the ridgetop and the fog.

Pardon her mane. It stands up like crazy in the winter but I don't trim it after late summer. I don't mind anyway. She is my fluffy mule. I don't show any more, I quit in 2005 due to shoulder surgeries. I don't miss it at all and am quite content to ride the neighbor's crazy woods and the ridge.

Sunshine and I do what we do best. Go on adventures.



We climbed some hills and did some trails. She walked along and concentrated on her footing while following a deer trail.

She pulled up twice, spotting deer off in the forest. We simply sat and watched. 

For me it was just enough, just perfect.

I'm pretty sure I chatted with her while we rode. Her ears flicked back to my voice and forward to what was going on around us.



What a perfect time we had.
There.
My first ride of 2021.

With the Little Red Mule.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:33 AM

    Critters are such a comfort, thanks for taking me along on the ride. I miss my critters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd miss them terribly and I suppose at some point I will have to give them up. Unless I don't out live them!

      Delete
  2. Who needs sunshine when you are riding with it! Nice that you can just hop on her after a while, and go without incident. How does Charlie get along with your mules?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has had many years of riding under her girth and most of it is pretty laid back riding. With her age and experience she has decided that deer are no big deal. Most things don't surprise her any longer.
      The red headed mules keep dogs and coyotes out of their pasture. Charlie avoids the pastures.
      Morris rode on all of our mules. They seemed not to mind at all. However Charlie's back is so long that I don't think he would be comfy scrunched in the saddle with me.

      Delete
  3. What a perfect calming ride...and I love her mane:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, messy and wild red suits her.

      Delete
  4. Honestly, I never knew you could ride a mule. Horses, yes, but I always thought mules were for pulling plows or packing equipment. I guess there really is no reason you can't though... Just no a primary function. Looks like you guys had a fun time. I used to love riding horses. My cousins had them, and there was a number of riding places around where we lived in Michigan. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, mules are very popular in Iowa, that's where I 'showed' my mules for the very first time and no...I didn't know you could ride them until 1994 when I met my future husband on a little mule that we still have!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.