Thursday, January 14, 2021

It is a Wild Wild Life

 




I posted these photos in my WildLife album last week on FB.

There is a Bobcat and a Coyote caught on camera. Earlier in June, I caught this same or similar Bobcat in a different part of our land. I see coyotes about once a month on the trail cam. Lately in pairs.

Now there is a bear that I have yet to capture on the trail cam, but he/she has left piles of scat in the creek bottom and has been seen by two neighbors. This bear raided my neighbor's berry patch in July and I saw its behind this summer while out in the wild lands. Bear ran off as soon as it heard me.

Anyway my city friends cautioned me to start being very careful!

I was amused and fielded an actual phone call from one friend telling me that I shouldn't be out in the woods with a Bobcat around or Coyotes for that matter. I assured her that 99% of the time these creatures run amok at night and avoid humans like the plague. Or should I say, avoid me like the Pandemic?

Bobcats are very secretive and it is rare to see one. They normally eat mice, rabbits, and raccoon. They will grab and kill a fawn in the spring but rarely take on large animals. Their tastes are similar to coyotes. 

When I first moved here in 1996, the land next door was over grazed by cattle. Only the deer and coyotes were around. The 'yotes had plenty to eat. The deer had a bit less as most of the underbrush was gone. Most parts of the land next door looked like a golf course with streams and trails. 

Now it is the Wilds. There has been no cattle on the land in 15 years and the forest has taken over.






This spot in my woods is very active. I've seen raccoon, skunk, and an immature eagle on this camera.


This by far is the most active place on our land. It seems to be a resting place for the deer as well as a place they like to play. I must have found the highway for the critters.

Rich says this has been very entertaining. I will keep the camera there and let it observe forest life.

I moved the newer camera that shoots in color to another section close to here. We'll see what it captures in about a week.

Meanwhile, I'll be out and about after this next storm to read tracks. That is another one of my favorite things to do in the winter months.

This by the way is in the Buckthorn Forest which really surprised me. I didn't think that any of the wild life would haunt this area. It makes sense though because the undergrowth is almost non existent because of the heavy shaded canopy. It is on a slight slop with a good view all around. I have been back there on windy days and it seems to be protected from almost all directions from heavy winds. 

It might be the perfect spot indeed!

8 comments:

  1. We have a Bobcat once in awhile across the road at my nephews. Coyotes are howling at night...they are usually no problem...but if they pack up cats and old dogs are easy prey for them. Far Guy used to walk Chance and carry a stick just incase. Looks like you have found the trail...fun to see what is out there! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs who are alone are prone to attacks during breeding season when the 'yotes are very territorial. I've hunted them as well as racoon back in the day.
      I do keep Charlie pretty close while we are hiking during breeding season. One of my favorite things to do after a snow fall is to go out and look at tracks.

      Delete
  2. They all wanted their moment with the camera, didn't they!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debra, I have some photos of a buck walking right up to the camera and staring at it! As well as other animal funnies.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous8:51 PM

    Very nice seeing the critter pictures. It’s amazing how many are out and about at night. I made noise whenever I was outside and never had a problem, but was still cautious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to hunt racoon back years ago with my husband. So I spent many nights in the woods, I even used to take kids along with me when I hunted solo. We rarely got any racoon but it was fun listening to the dog bay and then finding it in the forest. I was never really afraid of the night. I know, I am odd.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous9:23 AM

      My opinion - not odd, but rather confident in your knowledge of the woods and confident in your abilities.

      Delete
    3. Thanks I used to go night hiking as well. Apparently among some enthusiasts, that is a trendy thing now!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.