Sunday, January 10, 2021

Grow up?


Rabbit to Bear:

It's hard, I know. But together we can get through these tough spots.

Unicorns, dragons, teddy bears, and dinosaurs. I really enjoy them. If they are really small, I like them even better. They are easier to carry in a pocket or section of a backpack.

Toys sent to me by
a childhood friend


Some of my garden
'toys'

I mean come on, don't we adults need to play once in a while too?

I did have toys as a kid and I wasn't a disadvantaged kid at all. I think we did pretty well. We had those funky hard plastic and brittle legos. We had little soldiers, we had erasers that we used as toys instead of erasers. I had a dragon, my sister had a pink kitty, and I don't recall what my brother had. We always were 'setting' up battles on the ping pong table in the basement with the soldiers. We made the Kitty Motel out of legos. 

We did horrible things to our Barbie Dolls and once hung our GI Joes from the iron beams in the basement with clothesline rope. 

In the summer at the cottage we had wooden blocks that had come from construction of the tiny place we lived in. 

We had marbles we had decks of cards.
We had the outdoors. My sister and I had trolls.

Summers were spent with no phones and no TV. Play time was what we could make of it when not working in the garden with our grandparents or helping with the processing of vegetables.

Oh well, I digress. 
I like toys. I like to take them out and use them for Still Life or stories. I used to do that with Morris and his collection of toys. 


I asked my childhood friend if she thought I was nuts and she said "No, I just love that you still find time to play and keep your mind creative."

As a kid I always made up stories to go with the things I was playing with. We'd set up toys be it the rubber erasers or perhaps our stuffed animals and we'd dictate what we imagined they were saying.

Bones to Unicorn...
Wow I thought you all 
were extinct too!

I love unicorns and mythical creatures. I have forest critters too and for a couple of years, my neighbor kids adored the adventures of The Doe Story. I took photos of a deer figurine I had and she had wonderful adventures in my woodlands with unlikely characters.


Dino to Doe: No worries!
I'm a vegetarian now!

I shared those online for her kids. 
It morphed into other stories too.

I'm glad to know that that kid that is still inside likes to come out to play once in a while.
After all, who can resist neat little toys? 
So many of those toys were donated.

Cast off soldiers find their way often into my pockets:

Halt!


The Creek Bears
at the Desk




The toys entertain me when I am at loss as to what I might want to photograph. I like taking them out into the forest and finding places to pose them.

Rabbit to Bear:
I'll sit with you.



Maybe I will never fully grow up. I guess that is okay too. 
Wait until you see my new Dragons!




7 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:24 AM

    I love the toys and am starting my own collection. I am so looking forward to reclaiming my inner kid - after all my word for the year is FUN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the Dragons I just got are incredible in detail! I'm sending my other toys out to be recycled by the grand kids in Montana. I have a collection of My Little Ponies I kept when my other grand daughter was quite young. Time to pass them on.

      Delete
  2. You have so much fun with them...why not! :) If you look at Polaris UTV's ask for the Veterans discount! I hope to get one next summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know about a discount? I know the 4 wheeler can work with the cart but to have a dump box and not have to try and turn the dang 4 wheeler around with the cart would be nice. AND to have my own little plow machine would be great too.

      Delete
  3. Love the stream pics! Lucky Bear to have Rabbit lend him a kind ear. Your compositions and photos are SO creative Val, well done!! You have a real knack for miniature toy photography. I still have a few of my glass animals (most eventually broke from playing). We couldn't afford a lot, they didn't cost much. I loved animals when I was a kid (still do) and remember getting to pick out family sets at the local drug store on special occasions. Everything from Elephants and leopards to horses and dogs. Random unrelated thought; there was a mini plastic cowboy & cowgirl sitting along a horse trail at KVR (2014) strategically tucked on a ledge. I actually have a pic. That wasn't by chance you, was it? Had to ask. Normally I don't agree with leaving items in nature, but this pair greeted us with a "howdy" as we came around the bend. Made us smile. I figured whomever would just pick them up next time they headed out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it wasn't me, but I have found pants hanging in a tree among other things at KVR. I always take my toys with me!
      Rabbit and Bear were/are my way of expressing hope for those that battle with depression. Rabbit is always there for the silent bear who looks sad. I did use them while my own husband engulfed in MDD for over a year.
      I take the toys out in nature because it gives me a reason to play and to explore Still Life without being indoors.
      I once back tracked about a 1/2 mile on the Little Canada Trail because I left a toy.

      Delete
    2. I can only imagine what people leave behind, especially those camping...

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.