Monday, January 04, 2021

Just thinking

Just thinking.

Yep

I shouldn't do that right? I mean come on. It might cause a brain short [brain fart] or some such thing.
I was daydreaming about things I'd like to do if I ever get the time for it. I was told that my life is a piece of cake by some who thought that my 'retirement' from the work force was a road to Easy Peasy. 

Ahhh...she said, "Nice to not have to work any more right? You just do what you want!" Apparently CareGiving was never in her vocabulary.

My retirement was supposed to be filled with long days in the saddle exploring places. Or hiking exotic trails that would require me to spend two or three days in the wilderness. Another day dream was to toss Charlie [or Morris at one time] into my car and drive off to explore waterfalls and state parks. 

Though Travels with Charlie would make a better title for a good read, Travels with Morris would have worked too.

In my Day Dream I have my camera and Time.
Time. 

Time to explore. Time to sit on a log and inspect my inner thoughts. Time to spend a whole day exploring one trail and not being a slave to Time.

I could spend all day exploring light and all night exploring the stars. 

Pfft. 
My other daydream was to become a Big Hotshot Photographer! And then I realized that this wasn't a dream but a ball and chain. 

I would need THE best equipment, have lighting, have a studio and lots and lots of Stuff. Stuff!

Instead. I have a backpack. No studio. 

Some days I can even get out for a couple of hours and explore the nearby Reserve or County Parks.


I did finally save up and invest in a nice Olympus DSLR. They are super light cameras with some incredible features. Best thing? The camera doesn't mind going out in damp weather.

I have studied Fine Art Photography and wish that I were moving along in those lines. My photos seem more of a record of daily existence than of any artistic nature.  

But I would like to be Artistic. 


I have resolved that I won't find perfect but I will find everyday and real sights.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have some of those absolute perfect shots in a portfolio.
However.

I get sidetracked while walking in the woods and sit in the snow to look at the little things. Like the roots of a Buckthorn sapling that I'd pulled this fall. I thought the stark twisted black roots were stunning against the snow. 

Twisted


I wander the same scenery every day while taking Charlie for his walk. I look at the same scenes in different light and different weather. I still am floored by how it changes with the sun/rain/fog/snow/ or cold.

Morning Frost



And then I realize something. I've been documenting or photographing places that I can just walk or ride to and take a photo. And I've been doing it for years.
Below is the old Riley Farm. Note that in 2006 it had a barn! 
I don't recall what happened to it.
2006



2014

2018


2020


Sometimes I think I am on a fool's errand. After all, who cares? Who cares about the Blue Ice or the ice caves. Who cares about my ridge. Of course right now the ridge and the valleys around our house are the only places I am wandering at the moment.

But I love embracing the moment. Capturing something that catches my eye. So what if I've shot this scene before. It is never the same. It is never perfect, because we do not live in a perfect world.






The whole point for me is just to explore and 'see' interesting things.

Bittersweet in Hoar Frost


Through the Frost to the
Forest



So I'll keep practicing and trying to learn new things. Fine Art Photography and Still Life. This summer I hope to try some Astrophotography. 

Just thinkin'.


Why not? After all, I am retired and have all the time in the world [she says with a sideways smirk on her face].





6 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:58 PM

    Val I once read that any depiction that evokes emotion in self or others is art, both your photo's and writing do that. Yes there are bloggers who have the top of the line equipment but you provide an insight into your world as well as artistic expression all while your words include the reader (me) in your adventures and your struggles. The bittersweet in hoar's frost is an incredible picture. It's what I would want to take a picture of but I'm not willing to be out in the cold to get the picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary...it was sort of warm...wink, wink. 15 degrees? Besides I had to put some mail in the mailbox and walk the dog!
      Insulated coveralls are so nice!

      Delete
  2. Nice photos! I love shooting in Winter. I share many of your photography thoughts, and intentionally avoid "the ball & chain". This digital & social media age is both a blessing & curse to the extremely flooded field. My photography has actually been on my mind a lot lately, as I try to figure out what direction to grow next. You are in a great area for astrophotography!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep trying anything and everything. My favorite type of photography most of the year is Infrared. My old IR converted camera died and now I need to send in another one to be converted.
      Winter offers a lot of opportunity for neat black and white scenes along with Minimalist shots depending on where you can get to.

      Delete
  3. Let me know when you find that spot that has all the time in the world. I always enjoy your photography. I think I need a new camera or send mine in to be cleaned and possibly repaired. Auto Focus is fussy. Keep on keeping on! Stay safe out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently I have All the Time. My AF gets fussy when it can't find a contrasting object. I'm getting better with manual focus in those cases because the new camera outlines things in red when they are in focus [in manual mode].

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.