Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G lens

It came on Monday late in the afternoon ... after the town truck dribbled sand on the 'brown' ice. 

So I gleefully attached it to my Nikon D3100 and decided to take some test shots inside the house with Morris as my model.

What I've learned from this, is that I need to move around for the best shots.  I can't just zoom in and forget it.

This shot was taken with a flash [dark in the house].  But it clearly gives me a fairly crisp shot of Morris's face and gives me a nice 'bokeh' for the rest of the photo.
In the above shot, I wanted more items in focus.  I simply moved back and focused on the dog.  I read the f stop ~~ f5, which gave me a slightly larger field of focus.
The first shot was done at f1.8, so you can see the change in the depth of focus.

Next test was outside.  How would it do?  Since it is labeled by some as a great portrait lens, I wanted to try it out and see what it would do...

So I set the f stop to 5.6 and got this of the road:
 The image looks nice and crisp to me.

Next Morris and Dixie started to play and run along side the road.
I put the camera in program mode and pointed and shot quickly hoping to get something I could use.

The camera chose f 6.3 and I got this photo.


These shots were done in RAW format, edited in CorelAfterShot Pro [30 day trail] and I used Topaz Adjust 5 to enhance the shot of the dogs for just a bit of exaggerated detail.

I'm pretty sure this lens is going to serve me well.  I need to practice of course to see what its limitations are.
But I'm thinking that this lens could prove to be a handy one to have when photographing wildflowers in the woods and fungi.

It is a fast lens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.