Friday, May 10, 2024

Rain, Morels, Yard and Whatnot

On Monday I went hiking at Duck Egg with the intent of searching for Morel Mushrooms.

Instead, I found some amazing bluebell fields.



I also found False Morels.

Lots of them! All over the place!

They are pretty interesting and sort of wickedly cool.



 

They are different from Morels in that they are solid through and through and not hollow like a Morel is.

Hiking in Duck Egg is a crazy sort of adventure ... that is, if you can make sense of the signs:


The signs are getting better than what they used to be though:


The trails basically circle around the dam which protects areas from flooding. The altitude changes from the ridge to the valley are about 300 feet. Trails zig and zag up and down steep hillsides. The horse trails are really quite wonderful and will make the equine work hard. Hubby and I used to ride Duck Egg quite a bit.


I did find 3 Morels the next day in our woods.

They hide! Actually, because of the garlic mustard 'invasion' they are getting pretty hard to find:





With all the rain and the warmth, the plants are growing with great gusto and soon it will be very hard to find the delicious fungi.

The last few years were too dry or too hot for good Morels to appear. The conditions have to be just so and their are quite a few other factors and conditions that have to be met for them to flourish too.

I do like Morels, but I won't dedicate my days to hunting for them as I have so many other duties to attend to.

I went out to the Meadow to look under the old apple trees for Morels and I found a broken Turkey Egg. So they are nesting right now. 
 


I stopped by the Hawthorne Trees to see how they were doing. They are flowering now. One of the trees still has reddish leaves with buds, but I found this one in full bloom. Note the thorn! 


I still think these are amazingly beautiful trees.


Duty keeps calling in the form of mowing the yard. Hubby has an old zero turn mower that has a deck that has to be flipped in order to clean it properly.

We did get it flipped and it is always a total B--tch to get it flipped and back together properly. With his lack of ability for doing any heavy work, it is proving to be near impossible to get it done. I've cleaned it and now it has been sitting for 3 days not ... quite put back together.

I have a little self propelled mower and have been doing piece by piece mowing when I can between rains and foggy mornings. 
I have a notion to just run a temporary fence over certain sections of the yard and let the equine do the work at least for this growth period.

I did that in the 'lane' which is a hilly grassy lane between two pastures. The gals picked it pretty clean and then I mowed what was left. I have hoof impressions in the lane but the grass is no longer knee high.

...Hey...it has been done before!

Photos from many years ago.  2006 and 2008. I think hubby was in the hospital at these times and I couldn't keep up with mowing because I worked full time and drove to Madison to see hubby on my days off.



However...I learned not to hang laundry out when they were in the yard...




The yard never was worse for wear and they did a good job.

A large perfectly mowed yard is very underrated. I guess I shouldn't complain though, last year we mowed the yard 4 times all summer.

The rain and frustration are welcome.




5 comments:

  1. I need to mow again. Probably on Sunday. The equines look like they enjoyed their yard clean-up job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mowed lawns are a great waste of pasture! We mowed yesterday, even with a big zero turn it took 2 hours. If I didn't already have enough pasture I would put up electric fence and have the horses graze it.
    I love morels, they are about the only wild mushroom I will eat. Fried in butter of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:07 PM

    LD..I loved morels but haven’t had any to eat for many years. I think being spontaneous is the best bet. I have always thought that yard mowing was a false god that people worshipped too much. Your animals are all so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you need to put the animals back to work to earn their keep, LOL. Great mushroom hunting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will probably mow this next week. You found an amazing bunch of Bluebells! Yes those thorns are wicked but the flowers are pretty:)

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.