Tuesday, May 14, 2024

After all that...

I have to admit that I lost a lot of sleep over the weekend with the unusual Northern Light Show. I will definitely never forget that first evening.

Our old mower had a sudden death and it was left up to me to mow the overgrown yard with my little mower. Thankfully, the mower guy, Mark, came out to pick up the rider and take it to his shop. We've done business with Mark for nearly 30 years. We've purchased all of our mowers from him and hubby has purchased his chain saws from him. He has been the only guy we go to for repairs on that equipment.

It took me 4 days of mowing at 2 hours a piece to get the yard done. If the big mower stays out of commission, I will be making temporary fencing for the mules. Most of the 'yard' was over 6 to 8 inches tall! How did it grow so fast???

I turned my flower beds over again and started planting seeds and finished off my rock-succulent garden in front of the porch.


It's cute and I know I'll enjoy it. It is a great spot for my fossil rocks to enjoy their days while the humming birds visit.
Over the years I've changed this area several times.

Work, work, work. I really was burning the candle at both ends and trying to get everything done at once. I got tired and cranky. And the other half was being a pill too since his mower was out of commission.

I however did get out to get some 'shutter time' on one of our very foggy mornings. You know, a walk to the mailbox on the ridge where I actually just wander around for a bit.


Dandelions in the yard make for interesting macros!



Dew dropped poplar leaves just emerging.


Oh so sweet smelling Honeysuckle and a much unloved plant in many forests as it is invasive.


I do love  Box Elders they have such interesting shapes. This tree is putting out it seeds. The seeds start out as red and turn green. Sort of Christmas-y in color.


The maple trees are filled out now. This was the star of the walk. A single water droplet on the tip of the leaf catching the morning sun.

This was a form of Forest Daydreaming for me. I just meander-er along and stop to peer at spiders, insects, study the light on the leaves, and listen to sounds around me. 

It is calming and satisfying. Each time I go out and investigate at my leisure, I feel like I learn something new.

To catch up on sleep, I tried to take a nap on Monday. It didn't really work. Instead I fell asleep while watch Brokenwood on Acorn TV. Hubby likes the show, it is amusing, not too dramatic, and they always get their guy. 


 Perhaps Charlie and I need to go out and do some Forest Daydreaming in the Reserve. I'd like to find some Trillium before they are all gone.


After Wednesday, it looks like we will have rain for a few days. I may as well take advantage of the good weather while I can!

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:44 AM

    Our John Deere pooped out yesterday and now we have to finish hand mowing too. Not my favorite thing to do. Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear your pain! I'm mowing today! At least you get your steps in????

      Delete
  2. The dandelion photos are fascinating to me! We have a jillion box elder trees and honeysuckle. Lots of box elder bugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are to me also. I find their shapes to be fascinating in the macro mode...
      Just like snow flakes are in the winter. So wildly beautiful and interesting.

      Delete
  3. I ought to get out and mow, but I loathe disturbing all the critters!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.